https://www.duolingo.com/TheDaisyMoon

BBC Radio Cymru

Hello everyone,

I just decided to listen to some welsh while doing other things and tried the BBC Radio Cymru. To be honest, I don't understand anything (well I've been learning welsh for only 40 days so that's totally expected ^^) but I still think it's good to listen to a language when you want to learn it.

Has any of you every listened to that radio ? Do you have other stuff you like to listen to, watch or read to complete your learning on duolingo ?

July 4, 2018

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Bryan_S_Price

I do listen to BBC Cymru, it's amazing how much you will pick up in about six months. (I've been learning for just under a year) I have been trying to get ahold of the Welsh Language version of "Hinterland/Y gwyll," in the States, and I hope there is one for "Requiem." I listen to some Bryn Terfel Recordings of Welsh music, but as a classically trained opera singer, it's for equal parts music appreciation as it is to develop my Welsh. Looking forward to hearing him in person in Cardiff next month.

If you really want to improve your Welsh listening., may I recomend the app, "saysomethinginwelsh.com?" It is incredible. The first 25 lessons are free and will take you 3 months. I spent the first 30 minutes bordering on tears due to frustration. . . then I realized that was the point and because of it, I learned so much. I do this on my drives to work and it amounts to an hour of practice a day, and has contributed to me taking the long way home on occasion. They also have listening exercises which, while weird at first, are highly effective. They take phrases you already know, and play them at double speed. You are to listen to these for no more than five minutes a day, and because of it being at double speed, you will be more likely to understand Welsh when it is spoken conversationally, when you encounter it in more authentic situations.

Also, I recomend the book "Some Sex and a Hill: Or how to learn Welsh in Three Easy Pints." It's a short a fun read that I found to be validating of my time in Cymru (Aberystwyth in particular) and my learning of Cymraeg.

Best wishes, and thanks for helping to keep this language relevant. Words and life really are richer (and according to the book I recomended so are...ummm...well... other things) when you experience them in Welsh.

Bryan S. Price, Jr.

P.S. If you're on the U.S. east coast, there are some neat opportunities to try your Welsh out. I just discovered there is, still 300 years later, a Welsh speaking town 30 mins from me, Welsh speaking choirs, and D.C. and I believe Philadelphia, have Welsh Language meetups for learners. If you're in the U.K., or Argentina and can get to Wales for such practice, I envy you.

July 5, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/TheDaisyMoon

Wow thanks for your reply ! I'm going to try everything you mentionned ! Except for the welsh speaking town, choirs etc, because the U.S. est coast is a little far from my french town :) But I plan on moving to Cardiff in over six months so I'll get a lot of opportunities then.

Can I ask you what drove you to learn Welsh as an (I guess) American ?

July 5, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Bryan_S_Price

So Rev_mother is right, I am of Welsh ancestry. My Fathers's side (Price) emigrated to to Maryland in the 1600's from Wales, and my great-grandfather was a Welsh Orphan who came to Maryland in the 1800's. They then moved to an area in Maryland known as "The Tract of Welsh Friends/Quakers." So with that history, and with many of the towns nearby being named after Towns on the Welsh/England border (Hereford, Shrewsbury, Cardiff, Monkton, etc.) that got my fascination going.

Later in college, I was a music major and was encouraged to listen to Bryn Terfel and when I was concerned that a professor who was losing her hearing was knocking down my diction grades less for my performance and more for her increasing deafness, I began learning Welsh Art songs to see what her comments would be regarding my diction.

I went to Wales last year, and loved it. I learned just a few phrases, and found that the little I knew really endeared me to several people who otherwise wouldn't have the time of day for me, and enriched my experience. I am looking forward to going to the Eisteddfod again in a few weeks.

My goal is in two years compete in Washington D.C. in a singing competition, and if I win, the prize is having my trip paid for to compete in Wales at the Eisteddfod. I will need to learn to read and write passably in Welsh though to be elligable though. I also hope to start a Ph.D. program and specialize in Welsh Ethnomusicology.

I am assuming you speak French as well? I have found my "Felsh" or "Wench" is pretty hillarious at times, and it is very easy for me to insert/mix up the two languages at times.

July 6, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/Ewan456

i listen to my favourite songs in foreign languages (covers) and it helps with the pronounciation

July 6, 2018
Learn Welsh in just 5 minutes a day. For free.