https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Deedrio

Testing Out

On the Duolingo website, I can test out a skill by hitting the key right by the grammar note bulb icon. I can test out a skill as many times as I like until I reach Crownlvl5 gold, rather than going through – I think as many as 72 lessons I've seen – within a level before even making up to the next crown level...

For example: let's say I test out a skill, first I'm at level 0 on the skill, in lets say the German adjectives skill, I make it to Crown1, there are like, 3 lessons that I have to complete before I move up to crown2 and so on until I reach Crown5 - gold. Each crown level has a certain amount of lessons, some lessons again, counting as high as 72! And on the website, rather than going through as many as 72 lessons within a skill to get to Crown5, I can instead test out all the lessons and move on to Crown2 and so on until I reach Crown5.

On Duolingo's recent updates for iphone, they say "Learn Faster by testing out a skill level! Tap the key icon on at level zero in any skill to test out to level 1 and reach more difficult content" But it seems like you can only test out to Crown1 , but you can't test out the lessons so you can quickly move on from Crown1 to Crown5. You only have the option to Download the skill or play it. I think the app needs this feature. Maybe it already does have the feature? And maybe I'm missing it somehow? Or the app has a crazy bug that's not allowing me to see the test out lessons option? Can someone clear some stuff up for me?

Also, on the website, when I got to test out each crown level, it just repeats the same things over and over again until I reach Crown5. It doesn't really introduce that much more difficult content with the level. It's extremely repetitive. I can't imagine what it must be like to actually have to go through like 72 lessons in total to get to Crown5 in some of these skills.

I'm all for change, but I had a lot more motivation with Duolingo in the past when they were simple, especially even more when they introduced the bots. Now it's just become this quite complex and super repetitive thing that actually sucks the motivation out of me. Perhaps I'm the only one who feels this way.

August 8, 2018

1 Comment

[deactivated user]

No, you're not the only one who feels that way, although apparently I'm the first one in six months to react to your post.

I did the Welsh course about a year ago, and when I recently revisited the course, I noticed the course's changed organization. I started to test out of some skills, and the repetitiveness struck me as very annoying.

Why fix something, when it ain't broken?

February 23, 2019
    Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.