"Un caffè doppio, grazie"

Translation:A double espresso, thanks

March 29, 2013

This discussion is locked.


What is "a double coffee"???? Is that coffee w/a double shot of espresso??? (obviously, I am not a coffee drinker).


It is a double espresso.

[deactivated user]

    Right. In Italian, "caffè" usually means "espresso". Italians don't really drink drip coffee.


    What's drip coffee? Presumably same as Brit Eng filter coffee.


    Yes, drip coffee is from a coffee pot with a filter that drips hot water through the grounds. Italian coffee is brewed in an espresso maker (see below) and if you want a macchiato (small amount of milk), latte (50/50), or cappuccino (milk + foam) you have to order it that way. Caffé is espresso.


    [Belatedly!] Sorry John, but that's not an espresso maker, it's a moka pot. But it is (I believe) what most Italians use to make coffee at home, and it does make something that approximates to espresso. If you rent holiday accommodation in Italy it's what is usually provided, unless you ask specially for a filter coffee maker. But it doesn't exert enough pressure to make a proper espresso - for that you need a machine with a pump, which is what cafés and the like use to make coffee.


    Many thanks for the explanation. On the assumption I ever get to Italy, what do I ask for if I want black coffee but not espresso - what I think trendy coffee bars refer to as an 'Americano' and what for me is just ... ordinary black coffee, no bells, no whistles and absolutely no milk.


    @sparrowhawk, if you want American style coffee it's caffè Americano, but only tourists drink this, not Italians. It should be served black, but may not be available everywhere (though you could probably ask as all it is is espresso diluted with hot water).


    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso "Espresso (/ɛˈsprɛsoʊ/, Italian: [esˈprɛsso]) is coffee brewed by forcing a small amount of nearly boiling water under pressure through finely ground coffee beans"


    For the coffee lovers: the device on the photo is called "la moka" in Italian, the English wikipedia has it as "moka pot". The high pressure device for making cafè espresso is called "la caffettiera espresso" ("espresso machine" in English).


    BampaOwl, google image search espresso maker. ;) Yes, other things are sometimes called espresso makers, and yes, it is also called a moka pot, but since Italians use this to make what we would call espresso, I think it's fair to call it an espresso maker.


    You can ask for a "ristretto", a very strong coffee brewed in half the quantity of water of an espresso


    Curious since here people often use an "espresso maker" to make both caffè latte and espresso


    What you have pictured is NOT an espresso maker. It's a moka pot, typically used to make the first coffee of the day, in the morning. Espresso comes a couple of hours later.


    caffè doppio è usato per ordinare al bar o al ristorante due espressi in una sola tazza


    I've actually seen it being called a "doppio" in the English speaking world, too. :) A lot of coffee names are borrowed from Italian.


    I think Starbucks and other mainstream coffee shops often use it to appear fancy


    Yes, 'double shot' extra strong coffee. Like two tea bags for you, I guess. Or two whatever it is you like to drink :)


    I put... "A double espresso,please" and i was marked right. Can grazie mean please as well as thanks?

    [deactivated user]

      If you are mean person which already expects to get what you asked before waiting the response then to push person you say grazie or thanks right after request. But i consider this mean and not respectable so most probably will say no.


      Espresso is a "foreigner" word. We say only, in a bar, "un caffé - un caffé doppio (raro) - un caffé ristretto - un caffé lungo (very rare)- un caffé macchiato - marocchino, schiumato, tazza grande, tazza piccola ... five italians in a bar, five different coffees ! Moka pot is only for home.


      ....so now we know! I'd say that that is the definitive last word on coffee in Italy. Thanks!!


      I have been led to believe that you should ask for 'un caffe' in Italy and never an espresso.


      Yes, in Italy a caffè is an English espresso. We use the word espresso (typically made by bars) only to differentiate it from the moka pot version of a coffee.


      I can confirm this. While I was there I ordered un caffe e un cornetto alla crema for breakfast most days.


      My breakfast was la crema di caffè. It's between coffee and coffee ice cream. Deliziosa !

      • 1797

      Che cosa 'e 'un cornetto alla crema'? Un gelato?!


      They are cream (or chocolate) filled pastries, half the size of an American croissant. Very sweet, VERY crunchy, very good.


      Catia9: It's not a gelato. I believe it's a cream filled pastry shaped like a half moon.

      • 1797

      Grazie, interessante.


      Why would you say thanks in English when you were still asking for something? You'd say please.


      It could be reasonable to say "thanks" instead of "please" in English. If you and a friend were at a coffee shop and your friend said "I'm going to go get another coffee, would you like anything?" You could respond "A double espresso, thanks."

      This could be meant/interpreted as either "thanks for offering", "thanks in advance for getting it" or a combination of the two.


      Clever scenario! :)


      never in an ordinary conversation, but when ordering something?sure. it's like a 'thanks in advance' thing


      I typed "please" by mistake and it accepted it :)


      I accidentally wrote "a double espresso, please" instead of thank you, and it was accepted.


      That's a great thing though, that "espresso" is wrong.


      "A double espresso, thank you" is now considered correct.


      I just got away with 'A double coffee, please', even though I wanted to write 'A double shot, please' and then I saw the 'grazie' and realised it was thanks. Phew.


      How am i supposed to know that it is a espresso


      Swear im the only one in 2018 to think esspresso was spelt 'expresso'


      I'm sure you're not alone. Though actually it's espresso! :-)


      A double shot should be accepted.


      Why was "thank you" not accepted?


      You should accept 'Thank you' for 'grazie'


      My favorite starbucks drink caffè doppio con panna


      Funny how the subject of coffee gets us all going! ;-)


      What many people don't know and even some Italians, is that the caffè ristretto contains less caffeine than the espresso, because there's less water and it's better drinking a ristretto (short), than the espresso.


      After reading all the opinions and information of people that have been in Italy, I learned that espresso is wrong. Un caffe doppio and you get what you want.


      Vorrei un caffè corretto ;)


      My italian friend says there isn't "double espresso" thing in Italy, but the grammar is correct. UK cafe nero does have double espresso.


      Stupid trick question...


      i wrote "thanbks" instead of thanks by hitting two keys simultaneously on my keyboard (which seems a bit too small for my fingers) and was marked incorrect. Come on Duo, what happened to lenience for typo errors?


      un espresso doppio would have been a better wording . Can't one order a double coffee of any other type?


      In your examples caffèdoppio was written as one word


      The translation here is wrong. The correct is; one double espresso, please.


      If I order a double espresso in England, I get blank stares. If I order a doppio in England I get a double shot of that beverage that passes for espresso. Thanks Starbucks. However doppio is not yet accepted as translation from Italian.


      The "correct" answer, "A double espresso, thanks," is grammatically incorrect.


      In Canada we have a double double. Nothing to do with coffee strength. Means double cream+double sugar.


      I typed " A double coffee, please " . Accepted 01 March 2022

      Learn Italian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.