"Berapa harga es teh?"

Translation:How much does iced tea cost?

September 10, 2018

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Kdhy11

English would normally use a complete sentence, rather than the literal translation from Indonesian. Some form of verb would be more natural in the English translation. eg: How much is iced tea? eg: How much does iced tea cost.

Skipping verbs can be considered a mark of poor English. Eg: "What you want?" instead of "What do you want?" eg: "How much a dozen eggs?" instead of "How much is it for a dozen eggs?"

I have reported this., but most of the exercises need some extra "report" buttons. Please add a button for "My answer should be accepted" Please also add a button for "The English sentence is unnatural or wrong".

Most of us who are learning Indonesian cannot judge if "The Indonesian sentence is unnatural or wrong," so that button is not very useful.

And yes, thank you to the team for working so hard to bring Indonesian into the Duolingo family.

September 10, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/DiegoJaviUnlam

Hai teman! I understand what you said about the buttons. The report buttons appear differently when the response is rejected or not. Even if my response is accepted, I mark all the buttons in the reporting tool. Also, when my response is rejected, avoiding to check the button for the sound (when I think it is good), but that does not make a difference. The important here is that the contributors can receive a report, with one or more buttons checked, and then that they can resolve and decide what is wrong in the exercise. Many sentences here, as the English translations, have still grammar errors because they were created by the algorithm, and the contributors cannot check them one by one, not if they do not receive a message from the system, generated by the reporting tool. This is still the best way to solve problems for many contributors, using less time than checking the sentence discussions. And this is because the sentence discussion is not intended to be a place where the learners mark the error in a sentence, but to ask for help to understand better the language, and to give opinions about the sentences, of course. The sentences with grammar faults or misspelled words or sounds need to be checked by the contributors during the beta phase, and the beta testers are giving a big help with all of this, even if they press only one button or many buttons that are not what the beta tester is intended to do. The contributors need to receive the sentence report from the reporting tool because this is what they can read and this is the only way to save the problem in all the exercises in a short amount of time, perhaps in a few months, perhaps more than a year. I am also learning Indonesian here, and I have learned also from the English course (for Indonesian speakers) since 2014. I understand it is still difficult for the beginners to face a beta course, but they can study Indonesian adding many other resources from the web or books, or even contacting people from Indonesia (English speakers) if possible. I can see some doing this already. And this is what I can suggest to do, the same as I have been doing during years. I have talked with Indonesian people that can feel a little shy when they speak English, but others that have studied many languages as tourist guides, teachers, or musicians. So, please, I hope you do not take me wrong. I think some beginners can feel this is frustrating as a first contact with the language (as I have felt many times when learning about the difference between singular and plural (for example), but if they have a time to accomplish a row of exercises in Duolingo, then to finish a row of exercises in Memrise is much easier. And if some beginners are feeling that reminding some basic words or Indonesian verbs in Memrise is still difficult, then I think understanding the sentence construction or addressing levels in Indonesian will be far away more difficult to learn in the first contact with the Duolingo course.

The dictionary word system can be (and should be) also improved. Someone could choose the word from the dictionary by clicking on the word in the first attempt, but this words cannot always fit in the exercise. So, when necessary I choose to make a research in the web, KBBI (Official Indonesian dictionary) or others, in Wiktionary (English, Wiktionnaire, Wiktionary bahasa Indonesia), and Google Translate, but this latter is not so recommended to translate sentences, and comparing the translations of basic words with more advanced nouns, verbs, or adverbial, verbal, nominal phrases, then the Google algorithm gives a wrong translation most of the time, so many people do not recommend it at all. Sorry, forgive me all those who have already experienced that.

Your suggestions are valid here, and perhaps, many others can feel that would be an important improvement in the sentence reporting system, including the contributors. I hope also they can add more grammar tips in the course when they have enough time. And please, the people who still are blaming (unnecessarily) every English sentence created by the algorithm, please just make the report, a hundred of times if necessary, and please leave this section to discuss between learners, not to discuss with the contributors. They are still working in the system and perhaps cannot read the comments here. With more reports, the beta phase will be extended, and it seems that this should be like that. If the course is out of beta before the problems are solved, that can mean the amount of learners decays, so the amount of reports do also. Do not be worried about the repetitive report in the exercises, because I think the system algorithm cannot be perfect, but still intelligent to avoid accumulating the same report from different users. Once every sentence with errors has been reported, the beta phase can be finished, because the system allows and reachs just a minimum percentage of reports. Hopefully!

And sorry if I use this amount of space in the sentence discussion, instead of writing all this in the Indonesian general forum. But, again, I consider you have a good point showing these suggestions here.

Selamat belajar! :)

September 10, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/lockers001

Great suggestion. I also think that when I check,My answer is correct, I should progress rather than move backwards or have to repeat a translation to get their version of the answer.

September 10, 2018
Learn Indonesian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.