[WIS] Weekly Incubator Summary: 2018, Week 39.
Use this script to always have direct access to the last WIS without having to look for it.
Note: Data retrieved on 2018/09/30 at 00:02 (UTC).
I. Phase 1 Courses
- "(A)" indicates that this week's value is automatically generated using Duolingo's internal completion counts.
"(A)" Note: It is not the official completion percentage published by Duolingo but an estimate with several corrections. See the first WIS for details about this corrected calculation.
- "(S)" indicates that this week's value is self-reported by the team of volunteers working on the course.
- "(Locked)" indicates that the volunteers have locked the structure of the course they have constructed, which transmits it to Duolingo for final processing.
II. Latest News from Course Volunteers (All Phases)
Course "Norwegian (Bokmål) from English" (Phase 3)
Tree 4: Status Update
Hei, alle sammen!
I just wanted to give you a quick update on what we've been doing for the ...
III. Previous Weekly Incubator Summaries
See this index of WIS'.
EXTRA: Study of the WIS and Incubator percentages of completion
As a reminder, the percentages shared in the WIS are not simply values copied from the individual course status pages in the Incubator.
The first WIS explained how the WIS percentages are computed.
After showing the differences between the WIS and Incubator percentages in graphs last week, this week we decided to present tables that show why they differ from each other and, for each, how far they are from what they would be if the final total number of lexemes were known by Duolingo and the WIS authors in advance and if Duolingo did not credit in the percentage even prior work already done by another team.
- The first table is based on hypothetical examples created to illustrate what contributes to the % being way off.
As you can see, it's not only the total number of lexemes that has an effect: for courses that are not the first courses teaching from a language that is not DE, EN, ES, FR, IT or PT, the Incubator % is also off because it integrates the localization of the user interface strings despite the fact this work has already been done.
- The second table compares, for Incubator and WIS, the estimated completion percentages(°) of the current P1 courses with what their "perfectly" estimated values would be. Namely, with what each of these two estimates would be if the final total number of lexemes were known by Duolingo and the WIS authors in advance and, for the Incubator %, if the Duolingo % did not integrate the localization work already completed by another team.
The color code is:
- red % -> the current % is off by more than 10 points from its "perfect" estimate
- orange % -> the current % is off by more than 5 but less than 10 points from its "perfect" estimate.
As you can see, most current Incubator % are way off from their own "perfect" values, while the WIS % are close to their own "perfect" values.
(°) Note: the numbers were taken during the week.This explains why the WIS % do not necessarily match the progress chart shown at the top of this WIS.