https://www.duolingo.com/Sitesurf

TNs, U25: Possessives 2(Possessive Pronouns)

Possessive pronouns replace a possessive adjective + a noun. Like most other pronouns, they agree in gender and number with the noun they replace.

• Est-ce ton chapeau ? — Is that your hat?
  • Oui, c'est le mien. — Yes, it's mine.

For one owner, the forms of possessive pronouns follow a simple pattern:

Person English Masc. Sing. Fem. Sing. Masc. Plur. Fem. Plur
1st mine le mien la mienne les miens les miennes
2nd yours le tien la tienne les tiens les tiennes
3rd his/hers le sien la sienne les siens les siennes
  • J'ai mon livre. As-tu le tien ? — I have my book. Do you have yours?
  • Ma ceinture est rouge. La sienne est blanche. — My belt is red. His (or "hers") is white.

For multiple owners, the articles vary with gender, but the pronouns do not:

Person English Sing. Masc. Sing. Fem. Plural
1st ours le nôtre la nôtre les nôtres
2nd yours le vôtre la vôtre les vôtres
3rd theirs le leur la leur les leurs
  • Vous mangez vos repas et nous mangeons les nôtres. — You eat your meals and we eat ours.
  • Vous aimez notre voiture et nous aimons la vôtre. — You like our car and we like yours.

The 2nd-person articles for multiple owners can be used for a single owner when speaking formally.

• Informal, one owner: C'est le tien.
  • Formal, one owner: C'est le vôtre.
  • Multiple owners: C'est le vôtre.

Notice that you must use c'est with possessive pronouns, not il est, elle est, because possessive pronouns use the definite pronouns le, la, les

The definite article at the beginning of a possessive pronoun can contract with à or de.

• Tu téléphones à ton père et je téléphone au mien. — You are calling your dad and I am calling mine.
  • J'aime mon repas. Qu'est-ce que vous pensez du vôtre ? — I like my meal. What do you think of yours?

Important: If you find any errors in the Tips and Notes, have questions related to the grammar points above, or would like to discuss the topic in depth, please feel free to comment below. We ask that you keep your comments on topic so that this post stays educational and everyone can benefit from them. Any spam or unrelated comments will be deleted.

For more Tips and Notes, click HERE

1 month ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/Jenny759980

very useful. merci!

1 month ago
Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.