https://www.duolingo.com/Thelamefox

Tips on listening excercises on N5 level?

I find some listening excersises on the web, but they always use so much vocabulary I do not understand, and it's even more difficult if there's no script, so you can't look up what they actually are saying. Any tips on listening excersises that isn't that difficult but still helpful with ear training?

1 month ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Koezumi

Hello !

I've been used to download animes, dramas and videos then with audacity extract the audio from it so I can listen on my way, at first it was really difficult to figure out what they were saying but the more I listened to it the more words I recognized and later recall entire phrases from these audio files. Listening to music is also powerful, translating song from Japanese to your mother tongue is really a good exercise to better your comprehension in general.

Flashcards are really powerful when it comes to learn new words, I definitely recommend you to use one SRS software, Memrise or Tinycards. It will be more useful especially in Japanese when you have plenty of words with almost the same pronunciation but with a totally different meaning. Sharpen your vocabulary sword and be ready to fight the mighty pronunciation dragon (well it's time to stop watching Game of Thrones boy)

Also, recommend you to have a look at Sambonjuku's channel on Youtube, he speaks only in Japanese but his explanations are really clear and he makes an effort to talk slowly so every Japanese learner can understand what he says. I think there are even subtitles on some of his videos. Also JapanesePod, Nihongonomori, Japanese Ammo with Misa are Youtube channels that you definitely must have on your list if you want to pass the JLPT I think.

Hope it helps you.

1 month ago

https://www.duolingo.com/testmoogle

I like what you said about using Audacity to be able to listen to anime when on the go. I had the same idea a few years ago and did that! Playing the video with the screen turned off can work well too. It was surprising how enjoyable it still is just listening with no picture. I drive around most of the day for work, and listening to anime was a fun way to get lots of Japanese listening practice in while at the same time getting paid for doing so! :P

Maison Ikkoku was the main one I listened to (all 95 episodes). Since it's one of my favourite animes, I could visualise what was happening and follow the dialogue easily. I enjoyed listening to it almost as much as I did watching it.

Great Teacher Onizuka, another favourite of mine, was a lot of fun to listen to and worked very well too.

Cowboy Bebop seemed like a great idea with its awesome soundtrack, but with its many action scenes this ended up not working so well...

I listened to a few episodes of several other anime series. I mainly tried comedy ones, such as 男子高校生の日常. These worked reasonably well audio only, but the script would probably have made no sense if I hadn't watched them previously...

I haven't done this for a couple of years now. I want to start doing this again but can't think of a good series for it. Not all anime work well with only audio.

Are there are any particular anime or dramas you listened to which worked well in audio only?

1 month ago
Learn Japanese in just 5 minutes a day. For free.