https://www.duolingo.com/ChocolateyChipps

German is actually pretty fun and easy

My friend and I wanted to learn a new language so we chose German. it is surprisingly not too hard. I can't wait to be an expert in German.

1 week ago

60 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Vabelie
Vabelie

Well, with only the beginning of the basics under your belt, you may still be in for some surprises ;)

But German is pretty much logical and coherent, so greatly satisfying. Have fun along the way, and you will end up an expert.

Willkommen unter uns und viel Glück :)

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Dirk858585
Dirk858585

Nice said :) I like the "surprises" part, I remember a friend "surprisingly" got a first stop in his rush when entering pronouns and cases ;)

1 week ago

Vabelie

I have fond memories of the "adverbs" unit… :D Eigentlich, übrigens, jedenfalls… Ugh!

And then you try and read a real life novel, with natural sentences :p!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Wilhelm_de_

That's where my heel was grazed as well. To be honest, I think I always had issues with adverbs in general. German adverbs just give an aneurysm easily because of how indistinguishable they can get haha (at least in the beginning)

1 week ago

Vabelie

That! And there are so many of them, so precise in their use!
Once you get them, it's a pleasure to be able to express yourself so finely, but before that…

I remember getting quite hot in the head, and wouldn't ever say I'm now on point, one year later :)

1 week ago

How long have you been learning German? If I may ask.

1 week ago

Vabelie

Hi, Wilhelm! You may absolutely :)

I started here for as long as my streak says, but as a "false beginner" to be honest.
I took German in school at thirteen, and dragged along till I was nineteen. My problem was with my first two teachers; the first the sweetest creature, only unable of keeping the class from turning into a zoo; the second actually not teaching a thing but ranting about us and other irrelevances for the short time he was actually in class 0.O!
As you may think, it didn't turn out too well. On the other hand I had a excellent teacher when entering high school, and she was the one to help me catch up enough to pass, but it was always such a struggle for me, that I was too happy to drop it as soon as I could, one year into college.

Further a couple of years, I was left with roughly two hundred words of vocabulary, a very vague understanding of the cases and some scattered notions about verb tenses, word order… Not much more.
What I was left with, too, was a gapping, nagging regret, and the puzzling conviction that I was unable to learn a third language when I had done great with English.

Then Duolingo happened, and all that I never quite understood, all I couldn't memorize, and much more, suddenly fell into place :)

What's your story with the language?

1 week ago

I am born bilingual with Arabic and English as my base languages. My mother was a university professor, thus perfectionist to a vast degree. She wanted us to excel in everything and language was one of them. She was never a fond of German so I learnt French and Latin as a kid (learnt is a key word to "studied", I am not good in either anymore). We moved through Europe a lot and that's why my siblings and I learnt different languages. Lately due to some family issues and personal issues, I want to move to Germany to pursue my Weiterbildung and further. My aim is to master 5/6 of the UN languages by 30 (I won't say no for the 6th but I know Mandarin won't be easy for me). I started learning German seriously, less than 6 months ago and I'm going to get my B2-Zertifikat soon. I plan on reaching C2 in the next 6 months. I'll start working on my French once I get my B2-Zertifikat.

That's it I guess. Thanks for asking and sharing.

What's your mother tongue? If I may ask.

1 week ago

Vabelie

Arabic! One of my dreams, honestly: so much History and culture… If only Duo had been around sooner in my life…

Mandarin, I'd so love too: mastering the languages of the biggest civilisations of our time would be so great.

I guess I will settle for Esperanto for the time being.
I've done a little basic Latin in college, too, and if all goes well, after I feel good enough with German, and have a grasp of Esperanto, I'd fancy myself trying Italian.

Parental expectations, they can be the best and the worst, possibly at once: on one hand, it proves they feel we are capable of accomplishments, on the other, they can make our dreams for ourselves be sidestepped by theirs… Difficult balance.

Travelling a lot and doing it while young, however, have very few downsides. I do hope the issues are not too painful ones, and that everything will turn up for the best.
I do wish you a shared love story with German and Germany. All the German I was lucky enough to meet were the loveliest people: perhaps not as extravagant as some (rather good for relatively introverted me), but sincere and generous under the surface.

My mother tongue, you may love it; I'm French :) And fully aware of the beautiful mess my dear language is ;)

It's a pleasure to share with interesting people :)

1 week ago

I am waiting for the Arabic and the Latin courses as well, to practice them. As I may be fluent in Arabic to a native degree, I doubt I actually know the grammatical structure and so. If you know what I mean.

Travelling a lot and doing it while young, however, have very few downsides.

I'd say it has much rather than few out of experience :D

*All the German I was lucky enough to meet were the loveliest people: perhaps not as extravagant as some *

I believe you meant extroverted.

To be honest, I am not surprised you are French. But I believe you're not Parisian. I have bad memories with Parisians. When I lived in France I faced a degree of xenophobia due to my skin colour, Arabic, and manner of speaking/learning French. I found myself getting along with French people in Lyon better and as I went farther from the capitals, things got better. The main problem, I believe, fell in the difference of culture. In Germany and Britain, we say "Thank you/please/kindly/et cetera a lot. In France, it wasn't the same (from my experience). Kindly, note that one of my closest friends in French. I am just saying that I didn't enjoy Paris and had bad experience there.

For example, satire, mockery, and scorn are a way of defense in heated debates in France. In UK and Germany that'd be rude....extremely rude. But at the same time, sarcasm, eye rolling, and face palms are seen as "okay" and funny in UK and Germany but from what I heard they're considered rude in France.

It's a pleasure to share with interesting people :)

It's a pleasure to me as well :)

I do wish you a shared love story with German and Germany.

My story with Germany wouldn't be called "love story" as much as "mutual respect" or "alliance" haha.

I was raised to be a perfectionist and I am, and to also be extremely pragmatic and goal-oriented with spicy competitiveness. (I sound like a lovely narcissist haha)

Germany for me is one of the best countries, due to its system. I am referred to as "robotic" and sometimes heartless when it come to work, laws, and systems. I am always drawn to countries with firm laws and strict system that ensures success. You can say that due to my rise up, I became hardwired to strict routines. Arbeit macht Frei XD

I mean no offence for other countries, that's just my personal preference. The Roman-type systems are where I feel most content.

P.S: Sorry for the long answer and pardon my lateness. I am cramped into exams lately and barely have enough time to breathe haha.

1 week ago

Vabelie

Don't apologize, I know how it feels simply not to have time :)
I'm also the queen of long posts, so please feel at ease!

There's a gap, and sometimes a mighty one between speaking a language as a native speaker, and understanding its rules and inner workings. That has to be taught, and that's a reason why foreign learners often make, perhaps not less mistakes than natives, but not the same.

Re: travels. I guess there is a stark difference between "traveling" as in discovering the world then going back home, and constantly having to put your roots into new soil… Luckily, you had sibling to share your childhood with, or it would be scattered all over the planet, with nothing to rely on?

"Not extravagant Germans": actually, I meant extravagantly extraverted, the kind of people who smother you with grand gestures of affection, much noise, and forget you just as quickly…

You're right that I'm not a Parisian, I'm actually closer to Lyon, while I never visited this city, but did Paris.
To me, the experience was significantly softened by the fact I was guided and guarded by a friend: I just had to suck in the beauty, not the bad mood ;) And as a woman, I do know the "Metro", and many places, are far less frightening when you have a male chaperone (and still…)

I'm sad to say we have very bad people everywhere, down to the littlest villages (I do think and hope it's not France, but humanity really). Probably are they more sufferable when not too packed together.

I don't want to play the victim, but while "purely" French for as long as it's been recorded (I hate the notion of "ethnic purity" with a passion), some nature fantasy makes it so that I don't typically look the part, and had to hear, see, and feel very nasty things.
Destructive when a child, it made me, not stronger, I can't be so bold to pretend, but probably wiser, and more open to humanity.

As for the language, you can't win either way. Early on, due to my getting along better with books and adults than children my age, I spoke a variety of French that was not "the usual flavor of the day", and was cruelly treated for that, which led to further isolation, which led to more reading…
That definitively made me stronger: When you realise you can't please everyone and their dog, and the best course of action is being as unapologetically yourself as possible, you start to attract the kind of people you really want to be with.

It's very true that humour and everything associated with it travels extremely badly. My personal favorite is British nonsense. No offense to anyone, and a very subtle way of questioning reality, of looking sideways at things.
I can't stand scorn and meanness.

May I ask what gave me away as French? (No hard feelings whatsoever, I'm just curious.)

Nah, you don't look narcissistic, but insighful :p Pretty much the opposite, if I may say.

I'm a dreamer, with a longing for self-discipline. But I'm at peace, have been for some years :)

It does seem Germany is a place for you, and you will be appreciated and embraced there. They love honest, precise, straighforward, hardworking types.

About the laws, one of my favorite teachers gave us this quote which went something like: "Between the strong and the weak, it's law that makes free and freedom that opresses."
I like law when it makes everyone equal, and it is mostly organically respected, enforced when necessary. I heard that in Germany, policemen are the ones to primarily obey the law, never to consider themselves above it. And politeness comes on top of that.
I'd so wish it was the case everywhere.

I'm still dreaming of seeing more of the world. I feel I could make my home pretty much everywhere, though.
I still live a lot inside of my own head, and anywhere I find someone interesting with whom to talk, books to read and something beautiful to see, I'm very much fine.

Finally: Deeply breathe in. Hold. Slowly, fully breathe out. Repeat.
Everything should be clearer already :)

6 days ago

I just want to note one thing.....I always thought you're a guy haha. Before you blame me for my sexism and whatsoever, English taught me to assume a masculine gender or plural (which is treated as male as well) if the person is anonymous.

I am deeply sorry for that -.-''

"Not extravagant Germans": actually, I meant extravagantly extraverted, the kind of people who smother you with grand gestures of affection, much noise, and forget you just as quickly…

Now I get what you mean. most of my closest friends are German or live in Germany. The closest one to me now is blunt and if she likes me she says, if she's angry she says and she wouldn't bother fake because it's senseless in her perspective. I prefer that way of acting.

May I ask what gave me away as French? (No hard feelings whatsoever, I'm just curious.)

Nothing really, I saw you before answering questions about French and French learning. But so did you for German so I didn't know if you're German or French. I remained neutral until I learnt that you were learning German, which rules out the possibility of you being German. Then I thought it could be the same for French and since you're proficient in English I was inclined to wait and see. When you said that your language is French and you don't know Arabic or pretty much other languages other than English, French, German, and some Latin from college, I weighted the possibilities statistically given the information I have about you (from what you said and showed) and my knowledge about European countries, and the verdict came as you're French. Pretty simple but with a big margin of error so thank you for verifying it :)

Nah, you don't look narcissistic, but insighful :p Pretty much the opposite, if I may say.

I'd surprised you :D

Luckily, you had sibling to share your childhood with, or it would be scattered all over the planet, with nothing to rely on?

I don't mean to be vile but I am too introverted to the boarder of SzPD. I like my siblings but we rarely had cozy or close memories haha

When you realise you can't please everyone and their dog, and the best course of action is being as unapologetically yourself as possible, you start to attract the kind of people you really want to be with.

We share that mindset but the funny part is people we'd attract aren't abundant. For me that's quite good because I can't invest in many people simultaneously.

6 days ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Gottogetout

As Wilhelm I also believed that you were a man. I guess it's due to you how sounds your nickname or the shape of the symbol associated. That 'V'. something like that C'est curieux :-)

6 days ago

Vabelie

Please, you're not sexist here, at most society is! (Yes, I'm a feminist. And I am because I value fairness, so won't jump up anyone's throat without a mighty good reason ;p)
I actually like the neutrality in English language that allows me, when it's not relevant, to be a "person", not specifically a female. Romance languages mostly give me away right away, or I would have to jump through many hoops to leave my gender in the shadow.

Simple deduction indeed, but you didn't lie, you're the analytical type :)
I thought perhaps some idiotism let French show through my English; or I have some typically French quality or flaw showing (maybe still the case ;p)

I'd surprised you :D
Should I be afraid (Joking. Or not ;D?)?

I ultimately feel that blood ties are just one way of having a family.

I've been labeled a textbook ambivert. So part of me can relate. When I'm in "open" mode, no-one would guess what's really going on inside (I can even enjoy it, don't get me wrong). But after a few hours of interaction, I just feel like creeping into a hole with my embroidered pillows, my tea, my books and not talking with anyone till the next day.

So, like you, for friends, really, trully, quality over quantity. All the more so because if it's not deeply meaningful, I'd rather pass all together.

5 days ago

Vabelie

@Gottogetout :D That's actually funny ;D While I don't intend to tout my feminity around, I'm actually very "yin", very womanly.

The V is my real life initial as well, and the nickname a play on my legal names. And Art Nouveau is generally considered a pretty feminine style (and not all that surprisingly, my favorite in Art History).
I guess it means clichés and stereotypes are not that important (which was clear already) :)

While we're at it, I also "assignated" you male. Right or wrong?

5 days ago

My French friend is also a feminist and she keeps labeling me as so even though I explicitly noted how I dislike how feminism is being driven into a radical direction. I'm a supporter of equality but lately some uneducated masses try to use feminism as a way of being superior not equal. Ad due to the political confusion these masses fortify and grow stronger, subsequently they destroy the right and prime facades of good things like feminism and else.

I'd like to avoid such topic because I don't want anyone here seeing my words as offensive or take it the wrong way. Duolingo isn't a place to discuss controversial topics. I wanted to reply and give my opinion out of politeness.

So far you show less signs of idiotism and more of sophistication so I wouldn't hold my breath :D

I'm labelled as an ambivert as well but I fancy myself as an introvert because I dislike live human interaction. More like, I find other stuff more interesting than meeting people. Also I don't drink, party, or that stuff so I can be quite the buzzkill.

But I doubt an introvert would've been able to tolerate the masses at Parookaville, AMF, and else just for the music :D

Yes. My closest and oldest friend is in Germany and I am far away. We talk 1-2 times per year but when my grandpa passed he was the first to book an urgent flight at dawn to come to me. I did the same when his dad died as well.

I prefer befriending people who demand nearly no validation of me and they can trust that I care about them deeply without writing them daily or noting the fact at any given opportunity. After all, such gestures can be easily faked so it's meaningless to hear someone say "You're my close friend", I prefer to prove my care with actions rather than words and I expected the same in return :D

5 days ago

Vabelie

I'd have things to say about radical feminism and radical misogyny, but you're right; Let's not raise hell when we appear to be fundamentaly on the same page :)

As much as I do love words, I agree that comes always a time where deeds should do the talking. And my deepest relationships have been with persons I could talk about anything and everything with, but could also sit in silence and simply know we were there for one another. Silence is indeed a master in measures of feelings.

I do think festivals, even more so electronic music festivals — though I appreciate some; I'm no spring chicken, but I seem to be immune from musical paralysis (Kids today! All they listen to is garbage! In my times… ;p) — would be too much for me. Being on show for a few dozens people is draining enough most of the time.
Plus I prefer my music really sotto voce. But I can understand the warmth of sharing something one loves with many like-minded people, of letting go of too much thinking also…

Party, I don't really know that name either ;p

And one more place of agreement is the world appears to me as an endless buffet of interesting things to learn and beauty to experiment and create.

4 days ago

Vabelie

That's the way you do it! I like people more in small groups, and not too close…
Then again, EDM is quite good against too much thinking.

Funny thing is when I was a child, I used to only like (and know really) classical music. The shock (the good kind, though) the first time my school teacher played "Four seasons" to us…
Next was Ravel's Bolero danced by Jorge Donn
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOcHt_ZGo9c (not my favorite musical arrangement anymore, but this man on this red table, and this music… I just can't tell) In my eye, the most French piece ever: reason born out of madness, or the other way round, and it does not matter much…
In my late teens, I was taken by surprise by Miles Davis: I still feel these first molten gold notes in my spine.
Then when in my early twenties (I had broadened my horizon a little bit by then), the Beatles saved my life (I mean it) in times of trouble (I had to ;p).

Now pretty much anything has a potential to move me, even if I'm harder to win on rap or hard rock (not totally lost either).
My playlists are funny sometimes :)

So, your mum is an opera lover but doesn't care for German? Must prefer the Italian, then? Does she — and you — also like Lakmé?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbDL8nxW658
Madame Butterfly gets me everytime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXfGPOHgImk
or Le Nozze die Figaro
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZQinrFHW84

Not a connoisseur in any way, but… my heart…

Do you study in physics? Or engineering? (You answer only if you feel like it.)

3 days ago

Then when in my early twenties (I had broadened my horizon a little bit by then), the Beatles saved my life (I mean it) in times of trouble (I had to ;p).

I am sorry for that, and I am really glad you found something like that :D

My playlists are funny sometimes :)

I can say the same about mine haha

I see that having a definitive favourite is, in a way, a form of close-mindedness. I am open for anything and any genre as long as it is good, at least I try to be :D

My mum doesn't hate Germany. She's neutral to it but wary as well. Due to me inheriting more of her looks, I look more eastern. Mum traveled to the west at a young age and she was subjected to several forms of sexism and xenophobia because she was practically a prodigious STEM student from a third world country with knowledge and tastes, maybe, more refined than natives. She didn't have an easy time, her life could be called "suspenseful". In her way she cares about me and she's scared from how I'd be treated in Germany from xenophobic individuals with a tendency for violence in Germany. Especially since she knows people who got..."harmed" by said individuals onto German soil.

I'd say you're closer to a connoisseur than most people I know haha. You have a great taste in music.

My taste in classical stuff can be called quite mainstream and basic haha. It goes between Goldberg Variations, Chopin Nocturnes, Lacrimosa, O Euchari In Leta Via, et cetera. I just hear what I enjoy haha.

Yes. I do :D

3 days ago

You misunderstood me. When I went there, I went as VIP. So I can listen to the music and see people jump while I sit cross-legged :D

I don't do body friction. My studies rely on friction greatly but human, physical, and emotional friction are my least favourite.

I went to such festivals as an adult due to curiosity and meine heterogene Liebe zur Musik. But when I was young we mostly did Oper and klassische Musik. Mum and dad were quite the connoisseurs sometimes haha

And they call EDM garbage and say stuff like "Kids today! All they listen to is garbage! In my times…"

I wonder where I heard that before ;P (Just kidding)

4 days ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Rolfi_Popolfi
Rolfi_Popolfi

But German is pretty much logical and coherent, so greatly satisfying.

I'm not neutral, but I heard linguists saying that while basic Enlish is far easier than basic German, learning to speak proficient German is easier than proficient English.

Something like "German 90% rules and 10% exceptions, but English the other way round."

1 week ago

Vabelie

One quote I once heard and loved is "English is one of the easiest languages to learn to speak badly" ;)

I find it very true, as the basic grammar of English is pretty simple and straight forward (it made me realise the absurdity of gendered nouns for objets or abstractions, among other things).
But when you sink your teeth into the very flesh of the language, the degree of nuance you can convey by the slightest changes is astonishing. Add to this a remarquable propension to adopt foreign words, and the polymorphism of the tongue itself according to geography, History, social classes, age, and so on…

No wonder it can be at once an all purpose lingua franca and a wonderful vehicule for art!

On the other hand, if you speak German, you speak it, as simple as that. Learn the rules, and you'll have very few unpleasant surprises.
If you don't understand something, probably there's an other rule to explain it, and you've just extended your knowlegde.
Yet, it can be very subtle with its relatively flexible word order and gigantic vocabulary.

To be totally honest, I feel French is as rule driven as German, and as exception crazy as English :D I love it from the bottom of my heart, but wonder if it would have been the case, had I had to learn it the hard way :)

6 days ago

https://www.duolingo.com/MattBaker10

Vielen Glück! add me as a friend if you or anyone else would like to and we'll compete for motivation and fun!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Vienna860005

SCHOKOLADE IST GUT!!!!!!

sorry i had to:)

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Stefan269

BROT UND WASSER!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/YV.BG
YV.BG

Wasser und Brot :D

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Proginoskes
Proginoskes

Brot, Wasser

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/HorseCrazyGal

Good one! :)

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KarenJDee
KarenJDee

I thought it was pretty easy until I got to the hard bits! Persevering at the moment but enjoying it. I hope you get to be an expert soon then you can help me! Have fun with it.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/salivanto
salivanto

I'm not sure how this is going to sound on the other side of the screen - but ... what are the hard bits? That is, which parts of German do you find most troublesome?

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KarenJDee
KarenJDee

Oh that made me laugh. I didn't think before I typed. I should have said the difficult parts maybe? I am finding Dative Case, Dat Prep and Pron difficult for some reason. I am far better at vocabulary than grammar.

1 week ago

salivanto

Ok, yes. I agree. Memorizing three categories of preposition, remembering the grammar of the noun and whethere there's an article or adjective... and whether there's motion... and putting all the right endings on certainly counts.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/sunadashi
sunadashi

Yes, it is fun, it is interesting, but easy? Not so much.............just keep going and you will find some real challenges

1 week ago

My sweet summer child, wait for the trennbare verben, Adjektive, and the four cases and the adaptation/changing of the already confusing Artikel.

Don't let all that discourage you though. I learnt from experience, that if you like something and have a solid drive, you wouldn't be deterred easily.

Also, weiter mit der guten Arbeit!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/rev-pressley
rev-pressleyPlus

Have fun and good luck !!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Westeros91

I love it! Always looking for more German followers to compete with!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/katie665598

i’m in

1 week ago

salivanto

What I loved about learning German (30 years ago!) was realizing how similar it is to English. The teacher would introduce a new tense, explain how it was used, and I'd look at it and think "you mean, it's just like changing have to had in English?"

• I have found him - Ich habe ihn getroffen..
  • I had found him - ich hatte ihn getroffen.

If you use YouTube, I'd like to invite you to watch this video which I just posted today -- and please keep me honest. I'm looking for people to share their language learning goals and to follow along for the year as we keep each other on track and share tips. I already speak German, and I'm now learning Spanish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQOv9IcGiAE

1 week ago

You mean, "Ich habe ihn gefunden" und "Ich hatte ihn gefunden"?

Treffen/getroffen would be meet/met, as far as I know.

1 week ago

salivanto

You're right, of course.

I blame the alien implant in my brain.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Stefan269

You're right, German is pretty fun, but I don't think so it's easy tbh. Grammatical genders are terrible :(

1 week ago

agreed

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/FranzEbersburg

Fein! Aber Esperanto ist noch viel leichter.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Galaxy582
Galaxy582

Good luck! I like learning German.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/sari.kay
sari.kay

Have fun learning German! I realized that it was also not a hard language. I learned almost all my German on here and also in Germany since I was living there for 3 years. Viel Glück und nochmal viel Spaß beim Deutsch lernen! ;)

1 week ago

how many skills do you have because german gets a lot harder

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Rocco_363

Ja, fun indeed! however it is gonna be hard later, so keep the good attitude! Deutsche Sprache schwer um Sprache. Glück!

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Peter920713

Give it time , its a great leveler. Enjoy

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Gottogetout

hi, you can listen to pronunciation of words on this wonderful site : www.forvo.com

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/GeoPlayer123YT

English and German came from the same family so it isn't too difficult

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/BriFi

Lol definitely fun, but s*** gets real REALLL fast...just wait ;) imo Deutsch ist so schwer zu sprechen.

1 week ago

Proginoskes

Oh honey.

You're only on level 5. You've only seen two cases and one tense. Just wait.

1 week ago

salivanto

FWIW, I got to level 10 in Japanese in two sessions, totaling just over an hour. Level 10 in Spanish took slightly longer. A few sessions per day over two days.

A little more interesting might be to look on Duome to see how many skills and words he's actually done. (It's showing 10 skills and 31 lessons.) Still lots to learn - but all in all, I found German a lot easier than I expected (when I learned it ... 30 years ago.)

1 week ago

Proginoskes

Okay. I'm not sure what you're trying to say exactly, but thanks for letting me know how easy everything is for you.

1 week ago

salivanto

Tone is a funny thing on line. I can certainly see how someone might want to interpret my note as a kind of bragging (which it is not) - and I hope you can see how starting a note with "oh honey" could strike some people the wrong way (even if that wasn't the intent.)

As for what I was trying to say - it's that there's really not a lot that can be said about someone by looking at their Duolingo XP level. It's possible to gain lots of XP without doing a lot of lessons, and possible to progress through a lot of lessons without getting a lot of XP.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/shadowFalcon

English has many influences from German. For instance I discovered the Old English word for "day" was "tag". Probably Saxon influence, since they literally came from Germany, while the Angles were just north in modern-day Denmark, but also a neighboring tribe.

1 week ago

salivanto

More likely - the Old English word was "dag" - and that was because "day" and "tag" share a common ancestor.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/EhsanVessal

I absolutely love German as well for some reason. Even though I live in an area with a large population of Spanish speakers (English is the national language) I just can't get going with Spanish, and I keep coming back to German.

I wouldn't say it's easy, but definitely fun.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Kobnach
Kobnach

Enjoy! I've had some painful lessons - usually when they introduce too many words at once that all mean almost the same thing - but overall, I'm having fun.

1 week ago

https://www.duolingo.com/Azalea45

German is a very hard language to learn

1 week ago
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.