https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ThomasJ852997

Poet of the month: Grigore Vieru

I am aware that poetry isn't really that helpful for learning a language. So do not expect much of practical value here and keep in mind that lyrical expressions oftentimes are not suited for daily use; this is just for the fun of it. Also, I will not even try to translate the poems. I will give, as far as I understand the verses myself, just a few short annnotations to facilitate comprehension - With that made clear, let us dive right into it:

În limba ta

În aceeași limbă
Toată lumea plânge,
În aceeași limbă
Râde un pământ.
Ci doar în limba ta
Durerea poți s-o mângâi,
Iar bucuria s-o preschimbi în cânt.

În limba ta
Ți-e dor de mama,
Și vinul e mai vin.
Și prânzul e mai prânz.
Și doar în limba ta
Te poți opri din plâns.

Iar când nu poți
Nici plânge și nici râde,
Când nu poți mângâia
Și nici cânta,
Cu-al tău pământ,
Cu cerul tău în față,
Tu taci atunce
Tot în limba ta.

Annotations: durere: pain, sorrow; s-o: să o; mângâi: a mângâia = to caress, to fondle; atunce: variant of atunci

Grigore Vieru was born on 14 February 1935 in the small Bessarabian village of Pererîta, which is now in the Republic of Moldova (Raion Briceni), but was then a part of Romania. Though he wrote for adults, too, his works for children are probably better known. (In fact, his first literary publication was 1957 a collection of poems for children.) He is aso famous for writing the musical lyrics for the animated/live-action movie Maria Mirabela, a Romanian-Soviet coproduction. (You can find the whole movie easily on the internet.)

Vieru published not only in the Moldavian SSR, but in Romania, too, and became a member of the Academia Română. Joining the Communist Party in 1971, he campaigned for greater recognition of the Romanian culture and language in Soviet Moldova (later also for the unification of Romania and Bessarabia) and was among the organisers of the „Grand National Assembly“ of 27 August 1989, which pushed for Romanian to be adapted as the official state language of the Moldovan SSR.

Locuiesc

Locuies la marginea
Unei iubiri.
La mijlocul ei
Trăiește credința mea.

Locuiesc la marginea
Unui cântec.
La mijlocul lui
Trăiește speranța mea.

Locuiesc la marginea
Unei pâini.
La mijlocul ei -
Dragostea mea pentru voi.

On 15 January 2009 Grigore Vieru took part in an event in Cahul celebrating Mihai Eminescu's 159th birthday. Late that night, on his way back to Chișinău, the car he was in had an accident. He was severely injured and died on 18 January.

Noros, ori clar ca o amiază,
Eu sunt poetu-acestui neam:
Și-atunci când lira îmi vibrează,
Și-atunci când cântece nu am.

Annotations: o amiază: a noon; neam: people, nation

February 20, 2019

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Rowlena-L

Nu, dimpotrivă, îmi place poezia. Vă mulțumesc foarte mult pentru partajare. Efortul și grijile pe care le-ați pus în acest lucru sunt evidente și mult apreciate.

February 26, 2019
Learn Romanian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.