Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/lindakanga

r[skill 9] Verbs: Être / Avoir and 'ce'

lindakanga

Link : loom ladder | Prev: Plurals | skill | Next: Clothing | note: click on blue text for audio or links.

• avoir : to have | belongs to the 3rd group of french verbs. It is unique in its pattern, and is one of the most important verbs to learn, as it is frequently used AND can help you talk about things in the past - passé composé. (Passé composé is just a teaser here, and something that will come up in another lesson.)
    j'ai : I have | tu as : you have | il a : he has | elle a : she has
    nous avons | vous avez | ils ont | elles ont
  • être : to be | belongs to the 3rd group of french verbs. It is unique in its pattern, and is one of the most important verbs to learn, as it is frequently used AND can help you talk about things in the past - passé composé. (Passé composé is just a teaser here, and something that will come up in another lesson.)
    je suis : I am | tu es : you are | il est : he is | elle est : she is
    nous sommes | vous êtes | ils sont | elles sont

Ce can be used before proper nouns and pronouns, instead of le/la, tu, il/elle, nous, vous, ils/elles. Especially before a pronoun it is a more general term, while the other articles are more specific, describing an object in particular.

ie. Ils nous ont servi du roblochon. .. They served us roblochon cheese.
..C'est très fort. In general this cheese is very strong.
..Il est très fort. This particular serving of cheese was very strong.

When used before a word beginning with a vowel, elision occurs, ie. C'est.
( note. if you hold down the " ctrl " button and " left click " it will open up the related link/audio in a separate tab. Thus keeping this one open here.)

4 years ago

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/m.tastic
m.tastic

"I just started French, but I'll apply some of my advice from Spanish: Just memorize it and get it over with. Maybe even make a song out of it. For example (to the tune of Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star):

Suis, es, est, sommes, êtes, sont,

êtes, sont, êtes, sont,

suis, es, est, sommes, êtes, sont,

est, sommes, êtes, sont.

I know this isn't that difficult to memorize, but it even works for more difficult tenses and verbs. It does work as a memory aid; just don't rely on it."

Quoted from another comment
3 years ago