https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Candlesmith

Bubble, Bubble, Toil and Trouble!

1. I am studying Hawaiian on an iPad Air2 and an iPadPro, using Safari. My first question is this: Is there a problem using two devices? They are identical as far as iOS (12.2), content, and set up. Both have the Duolingo app installed. I have an iPhone X and an iMac running 10.14.3, but don’t generally use them for Duo. Then I have the following problems:
  2. Nowhere on my profile is my time zone indicated. Since I live in Maui, Hawai’i, with three to six hours difference from the continental US, this is somewhat important.

3. Though I am a Plus member, the “Monthly Streak Repair” Benefit which is included and which is displayed as “Available”, is neither functional, nor am I notified when there is a need to use it. (Perhaps because it’s inoperable?)

4. Recently I am getting no email notifications at all from Duolingo. This includes lesson notifications. (And, NO, they are not in my Spam Folder.) I haven’t changed anything and don’t see anything unchecked that would account for this.

Most problematic of all, each and every day, in every single lesson, (and probably easily addressed):

1. In Hawaiian there is a symbol known as an ʻokina (ʻ) it is similar (‘), but NOT IDENTICAL to an apostrophe, [ ʻ ‘ ] and...... IT EXISTS ON NO COMPUTER KEYBOARD! In fact, none of the four diacritical marks available (‘ ' ’ `) are acceptable to Duolingo as an ʻokina and any answer using any of them is marked wrong.
    For example , in answering the problem: “Name this”: Answer: (the cup) “ke ki’aha” - will be marked INCORRECT Only. “ke kiʻaha” - would be marked - CORRECT Can you even SEE the difference? (I can’t either.) In order to get that answer right, students must go offsite to a Hawaiian dictionary, cut out either the answer, or just the ʻakina, (ʻ), return to Duolingo and paste! That is ABSURD!

Please forgive my wordy description of the problem and, PLEASE fix the issue! This is the third time I’ve reported it.

April 8, 2019

6 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Candlesmith

Mahalo nui loa!
Even the kahakō (e.g: ô, ā, ē) is a pain in the neck to add even though it’s accepted. This is great! Thanks!

April 9, 2019
Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.