https://www.duolingo.com/Jr.Foraker23

Memrise's New Look Vs. Duolingo's New Look

BEFORE YOU READ THIS: This is my opinion and not any sort of fact. This is only my view, so please don't be offended by anything said, since it is not meant to offend anyone in general, but to share thoughts and feelings. Thank you.

I checked my E-mail this morning to find that Memrise has updated their website. I dreaded that the font and the colors would have a fate that of Duo's, but I was gladly surprised. Not much really changed, but the title. Everything else looked a little less edgy. Not edgy like the term that is used nowadays, but edgy as something without curves. Things looked smoother and more mellow.

They used different shades of white but used minimal colors. I did like how they used the complementary colors, yellow and purple. Though, everything looked basically the same. Oh yes, and the did look nice, but they weren't very bright. The font used was pretty basic, but it was effective. I had a little trouble reading it, but the actual learning was great. The font was big. About 46 in size. I loved it. It didn't have to be cartoony to be fun and appealing.

It doesn't look very professional, but it's not kiddish. It kept most of the same ideas, like classic review being a blue screen, new words are green, the fast review is red, etc. Though, I have found that the fast review does not show the red hearts sometimes. Maybe a bug? I don't know, but I don't mind.

The only thing I do really mind is the new logo. It looks okay, but I just like the detail the first one had. This new one looks similar to something I would see for a title of an app or a very mild graffiti. Not a very huge takeaway, course. It really isn't much compared to Duo's devolving bird, which went from a 100-color palette (take that with a pinch of salt, and I'm talking about the original Duo) to one that has a 5-color palette used to make it and barely looks like an owl.

That's all. I overall liked the update, and I liked it a lot more than the recent Duolingo update. Nothing against Duo themselves, but I feel that they can do better than bright and flashy with no detail at all. Again, nothing against Duo. No disrespect intended for anyone who is reading this. Again, this is my opinion. Feel free to share yours.

Gratias, benevoli.

April 13, 2019, 6:32 PM

0 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.