**LISTENING RESOURCES FOR GERMAN LEARNERS**
Hope this proves to be of worth to a few of you, originally compiled this for a friend but I guess there’s some helpful links for us all. Apologies for the awful formatting (blame my phone) and I will say ahead of time, if you have a phobia of lists; please turn back now.
NOTE: IN ORDER OF BASIC - ADVANCED
• https://m.dw.com/en/learn-german/harry/s-13232 - This is probably one of the most helpful podcasts, which goes from A1 level to B1, free and easy to pick up. DW as a site is worth checking out as a whole (https://m.dw.com/en/top-stories/s-9097), they also have a YouTube channel (https://m.youtube.com/user/deutschewelle) but I want to be a bit more specific with these links
• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4-eDoThe6qo - Again, from DW and this is a series that is entertaining and helpful, covers A1 - B1
• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3P0fmT7NrB8 - I’ve given the YouTube link but this is available on the DW site (only as audio) and on iTunes I believe, a 26 episode - 5 minute each series which I’m looking forward to watching! It’s an interactive mystery series
• https://stories.duolingo.com/?referrer=web_tab - I don’t think many notice how practical they are
• https://m.youtube.com/user/naveregnide - I guess I may as well add this on, occasionally Evan does livestreams in German and it’s quite motivating to follow another learner
• https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCbxb2fqe9oNgglAoYqsYOtQ - Worth checking out, YouTube channel completely in German with subtitles and I think it’s reasonably okay to understand
• https://lyricstraining.com - This is best as an app, it’s a great way to listen and learn from songs
• https://slowgerman.com/ - Full of podcasts and their transcripts, what better?
• https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/coffee-break-german/id595399272?mt=2 - A podcast with 5 star ratings, short episodes which can really help extend your learning
• https://m.youtube.com/user/Sachgeschichten/videos - Educational videos in German, might not be the most entertaining but it is understandable
• https://www.goethe.de/en/m/spr/ueb.html - Great website, covers a lot of aspects, it is fairly advanced and to be honest, navigating the site will probably be the hardest part
• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kucH28_5bS0 - A comedy series, I haven’t watched much, but I can say there are blood scenes in the first episode so watch out!
• https://www.nachrichtenleicht.de - Essentially spoken news reports, DW is another great site for this
• https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb0yFr2jVAU - I’m not too sure how long it will be available for, but channel4 is the only place I can find it for free right now; there is also a sequel (and another to come). The series itself is called Deutschland 83, a spy series, and I should say there are a few ‘inappropriate scenes’, so be warned! I’ve attached a link to the trailer as a little taster for those interested. It is pretty advanced but there are English subtitles the whole way through (although annoyingly you can’t turn them off)
• https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/80100172?source=35 - Only paid resource on here, but from what I’ve heard, it’s pretty good; a German ‘Stranger Things’
There are tons of popular german audio books for children if you are interested in those! The stories may be a bit silly but the language is relatively easy and also it's not too fast (I think?)
I'll post two different examples via Spotify, but you can also listen to it on Youtube, just copypaste the name (but please be careful with the automatic subtitles there, I checked a few and there are a lot of mistakes)
1)'Bibi Blocksberg' These are cute stories about the adventures of a young witch and her broom "Kartoffelbrei" ("mashed potatoes" lol) Audience about 3 - 13 year olds. https://open.spotify.com/artist/3t2iKODSDyzoDJw7AsD99u?si=dMz4fWcbQMCzVYETSe153g
2) 'Die drei ???' / 'Die drei Fragezeichen' These are about three detective-friends who solve crimes and mysteries. The recommended age is 8 and above so these stories are a little bit more complex. https://open.spotify.com/artist/3meJIgRw7YleJrmbpbJK6S?si=cqHS9tHbSRmdYK1YK9uK3Q
I hope these are helpful to some of you, don't hesitate to ask if you have questions! I'm always happy to see people interested in the german language :)
Thank you, Syntax!
This is another site I've found with free podcasts in German. I haven't listened very extensively (yet), but I've really enjoyed what I've heard, and there are full transcripts for every episode. They're aimed at learners in levels A2-B1 and above. It's a Swiss company, but they of course have podcasts in Standard German (as well as Swiss German).
No problem! For beginners I would say that https://m.dw.com/en/learn-german/harry/s-13232 would be the best. It’s available on iTunes, on the DW site and on YouTube. The majority is in English at the start, but it does develop into B1 level (across 100 episodes). I’m quite far into it and think it’s been of great help and is also pretty fun to listen to! Here’s a lingot :)