https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SASSYandsisters.

Arabic Word of the Day 30#

*Ciao! Today (is day 30!) and we're going to look at the Arabic numbers from 11 - 100. Let's start:

*احد عشر = "Ih^da 3ashar" = Eleven - "waah^id" (one) becomes "Ih^da" and "3ashara" (ten) becomes "3ashar". Sorry I won't be able to explain how this change is made because I'm busy today and I just managed to find time for this, but I'll link a video that goes through everything we're going to learn today. If you can't or don't want to watch the video, it's ok to just remember them as this change is only made in 'eleven' and 'twelve'.

*إثنا عشر = "Ithnaa 3ashar" = Twelve. "Ithnaan"(two) becomes "Ithnaa", and as before, "3ashara" becomes "3ashar".

*Now for the rest of the numbers up to 19, we keep the units the same and add "ta" at the end. We also use "3ashar" instead of "3ashara" whenever we're talking about a number and '10'. So here's a few examples on how the numbers 13 - 19 work:

*ثلاثة عشر = "Thalaathata 3ashar" = Thirteen - So just like the rule above^. We take 'three' which is "Thalaatha", we add "ta" (short vowel so spelling doesn't change) to the end so the pronunciation becomes "Thalaathata". Now we simply add "3ashar" to the end so it becomes "Thalaathata 3ashar" < You can visualize the change from 3 to 13 by looking at the additions in bold.

*ستة عشر = "Sitata 3ashar" = Sixteen. So same as before. Take six "sita", add "ta" so it becomes "sitata", then add "3ashar" at the end. So it ends as "sitata 3ashar".

*Now the rest is easy! So all we need to remember now are the tens:

*(عشرون ) = "3ishroon" = Twenty

*ثلاثون = "Thalaathoon" = Thirty

*أربعون = "Arba3oon" = Forty

*خمسون = "Khamsoon" = Fifty

*ستون = "Sitoon" = Sixty

*سبعون = "Sab3oon" = Seventy

*ثمانون = "Thamaanoon" = Eighty

*تسعون = "Tis3oon" = Ninety

*مئة = "Mi'a" = A hundred

*Now you might have realised that for all the tens (except for 100), the numbers 1-9 are repeated, only they end in "oon".

*So now to say something like... 21 all we do is the following:

*We pick the correct tens so in this case "3ishroon" (twenty)

*We use some math to figure out that 21 - 20 = 1 therefore 1 + 20 = 21.

*We remember the word for "1" aka: "Waah^id"

*We connect these two numbers with our beloved "wa" (and)

*We're done! Now we have got "Waah^id wa 3ishroon" which means '21'.

• REMEMBER! When dealing with a 2 digit number, we in Arabic decide to go thug life and start from the right hand side. So we start with the units just like we do in maths. We say "Waah^id wa 3ishroon" instead of the English "Twenty one".

*Now we can say the numbers 1-100 in Arabic! BUT I've got a challenge for you guys to think about... What about above 100? How do we say for example, 154? Try to figure this out on your own and answer below if you wish and I'll check it! The competition begins! Who's going to be the first non-native! to answer this correctly without using Google?! (let's go old school!) ;p

*Thanks for Reading! Any Qs, Proof-reading, Suggestions, Possible Improvements... I'm going to be calculating my failing rate for tomorrow's exam using Arabic numbers (instead of revising)! Don't disturb me! Joking! Feel free to comment below and I'll answer as soon as I can! Have a Nice Evening! CYA ;D [if you're feeling clever do the challenge and I'll check your IQ lol]

Video on today's lesson: [https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AmJnFXYDp7A]

May 22, 2019

95 Comments

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.