Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/wazzie

Spanish Book Club!

wazzie

Welcome Spanish and Reading lovers.....

In this discussion thread it was suggested that each language form its own Book Club so we can combine two passions, language and reading.

While the original idea suggested was to read a New York Bestsellers style book in English with discussions in the target language, we have decided to do something slightly different for the Spanish Book Club.

Starting with El León, La Bruja y El Ropero (The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe) the goal is to read this book in Spanish and discuss it here also in Spanish. The idea is to build a community of support and motivation while using our growing skills in Spanish to communicate.

We will start off slow, and see where everyone's language level is, and be as accommodating as possible. If you don't feel comfortable reading the book in Spanish, please feel free to read it from your native language.

The discussions will be primarily in Spanish, but will allow for English when needed (just don't try to use it as too much of a crutch). I'd prefer to keep the conversations to Spanish and English because those are the assumed known (or learning) languages for everyone here. Please use the discussions for discussing points in the book, asking for translation help, expressing difficulties you are experiencing, etc. This is still in the experimental stage, so as a community, we can change them as we see fit.

The first book being read is El León, La Bruja y El Ropero by C.S. Lewis. The first chapter is available here. You can click on the picture of the book and read the sample (which includes the entire first chapter and part of the second). I think this is a good place to start and allows time for everyone to obtain a copy of the book, while still having an opportunity to begin reading it. Since not everyone has had time to 'prepare', I think we should allow until next Friday (13 Jun) for everyone to read this section.

Don't forget to check your local libraries (if that is an option). Many libraries (in the US) will do 'inter-library loans'. This means you can request a book and they will find it for you, sometimes even from another state (they will mail it to your local branch).

Here are some question to think about while you are reading, and hopefully get some conversation started. I'm not sure exactly sure the best way to approach this yet, but hopefully that will all become clear once we start.

What is your first impression of each child’s personality?
What do you think about Lucy’s decision to enter the wood alone – was it safe, brave, foolish?

Please use this thread for discussing El León, La Bruja y El Ropero.

General El León, La Bruja y El Ropero discussion and Chapter 1
Chapter 2 and 3 discussion
Chapter 4 and 5 discussion
Chapter 6 and 7 discussion
Chapter 8 and 9 discussion

4 years ago

56 Comments