Arabic word of the Day 61# [Journey in Arabia 3# - Comoros Facts!]
Hello passengers! Today we’re going to take a long flight from our visit to Bahrain all the way to a beautiful island just off Africa’s east coast; Comoros! [don’t forget to put your seat belts on!]
1# The islands of Comoros are mostly volcanic with interiors that range from low hills to steep mountains.
2# Comoros has three official languages which are Comorian, Arabic and French.
3# Nearly 98% are Sunni Muslims and the remaining 2% are Roman Catholics.
4# Comoros is a “Federal republic”. It gained independence from France on 6, July 1975 and celebrate their National holiday every year.
5# The literacy rate is only 56.5% [the total percent of a population that can read and write] compared to 26 countries in the world acing with a literacy rate of 100%
6# The capital of Comoros since 1962 is Moroni which is also the largest city in the country situated on the island of Grande Comore.
7# Comoros is the largest producer of ylang-ylang which is an ingredient used in the making of fragrance oils.
8# Comoros’s population was only 734,917 in 2013.
9# The average life span here is 56 years
10# The climate of Comoros is tropical marine, with a rainy season from November to May… bit like the UK, you could say! I wouldn’t say that but ok!
11# There are around 20 species of bird that are endemic to Comoros, along with the Mongoose Lemur, which after being introduced from Madagascar, is now only found on 2 islands in Comoros!
12# Comoros offers one of the world’s largest coral atolls which parades hundreds of fish species, shells, and corals.
13# Comorian is the dominant native language. It is more of a Swahili dialect. It is transcribed in Arabic in its written form. Arabic is the second most dominant language. French comes in third, although it is the official language of instruction in schools and the main language of official business. However, less than half of the population speaks French.
14# Comoros was frequented by travelers from Africa, Madagascar, Indonesia, and Arabia before the first Europeans encountered the islands. Arabic influence has been the strongest.
15# Comorian youth organize village dances. Musical tastes are diverse; people enjoy Western popular music and reggae, as well as traditional dance music.
16# Comorians eat mostly imported rice, usually with a fish or meat sauce. Plentiful local fish (tuna, barracuda, wahoo, and red snapper) are the main source of protein. Cassava is eaten fried, boiled, or grilled. Taro, green bananas, breadfruit, and potatoes (both white and sweet) are often served. Chicken, goat, and imported beef are popular meats. Pork is forbidden by Islam.
17# The life expectancy in Comoros in 2016 was estimated at 63.7 years old. This may seem quite high, but if you compare this number to the UK’s life expectancy of 80.96 or Japan’s 83.98, it is quite low.
18# Accurate of 2017, Comoros’ population was 813,912 only but has one of the highest population densities in the world
18 Facts about Comoros today! Hope you enjoyed them and learnt something new because I did as well ;D Any more facts on this unique country, feel free to share them with us! That’d be great! ;)
Thank you for this post and this few week series I am enjoying learning about different countries.
Who else besides me has never heard about this country before and had to look where Comoros was on the map? XD
'bit like the UK, you could say.' I laughed so bad that I fell off my bed. 'Tropical marine' more like weather lottery. One day it'll be snowing and like minus 1-5 then all of a sudden it's a heatwave. Sometimes I really don't understand ;p .
Nice facts on Comoros. Always thought it was in West Africa XD
XD Same! I was like "hmm today it rained! No, it is no way like the UK love! it doesn't end at May! shmucks we're at the end of June!" Also in Geography, I got this exam Q saying "prove that UK weather is getting more extreme" and I had a billion different arguments XD Only I made up the dates completely
I know that! But it is in the Arab league so YA! Don't get so vexed! Somalia's got its turn too ;p