My Thoughts on the New Arabic Course

[deactivated user]

Well, I gotta say, it's not that bad. I am going to talk about my dislikes and likes and opinions about the course. If you are reading this, I would love to hear your thoughts on the Arabic Course Duolingo has provided.I did not like the transliteration of the Arabic. I want to get use to the Arabic alphabet and reading Arabic itself. I am an non-native(American) and the Arabic was too easy for me. I knew and was able to figure out more than 50 percent of the Arabic that was taught. I do like how we are able to form and type sentences. I am happy that the Arabic Course is teaching everyday expressions people actually speak and use in their daily lives. I have been learning Arabic for about 2 to 3 years.

June 28, 2019

4 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/WombatTassie

I am a complete beginner so happy to start at the beginning. Happy we have Arabic as an option. Shukran.

June 28, 2019

https://www.duolingo.com/Heike333145

I'm not a complete beginner (started to learn Arabic twice before, last time in 2009, but never got beyond the first letters because then something happened in my life that needed my attention).

I am also able to figure out many of the letters, but this is something I like about this course, and about Duolingo as a whole: It always tries to be an easy walk. So if I can figure out letters or syllables or (gosh!) even entire words, this fills me with appropriate pride and the wish to learn more.

I think this is a basis that will carry me even if something gets in the way of learning some day.

I need the transliteration for some time to get really familiar with the letters. I also like the fact that the vowels that are left out in normal writing are written at the beginning. All this helps me take one step at a time: An easy walk.

In this respect, the Arabic course is very "Duolingo", and I really like that. :-)

Edit: But I agree with those who wrote that it should be possible to skip the Alphabet lessons. For someone who can already read Arabic, the very feature that I enjoy so much must be annoying. (I imagine myself starting Italian and being made to go through each letter individually ....)

June 28, 2019

[deactivated user]

Thanks for commenting. I do agree with the possibility of being able to skip the letters.

June 28, 2019

https://www.duolingo.com/Heilswahrheit

I would be happier if they left the alphabet for the learner and kept the course about learning vocabulary and grammar. So far so good though. I am pleasantly surprised. I'm not new to the script, and am very familiar with how the language works, but haven't delved deeply into learning the grammar. We'll see where they go from here. I must congratulate the team for finally unveiling the course after such a lengthy string of delays. It's finally here and I'm at the very least grateful for it.

June 28, 2019
      Learn Arabic in just 5 minutes a day. For free.