https://www.duolingo.com/RezaJamshi6

Reza

Hi,friends.I have a big problem.I don't know where and when do Indian people use"The oblique case"? Could you help me please?

July 4, 2019

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/vinay92
Mod

'Case' is a feature of some languages where words change form depending on the function being served by the word in a particular sentence. For example, in English, both 'I' and 'me' can be said to be two different forms of the same word and you use 'I' when it is the subject of a sentence and 'me' when it is the object.

In Hindi, pronouns have 8 different cases. For example, while referring to yourself, you will use मैं when it is the subject, मुझे to mean 'to me', मेरे to mean 'my', मुझसे to mean 'from me' etc.

However, nouns have just three cases. You will not encounter the third case, 'vocative case' much on Duolingo. It is the case that the noun takes when it is being directly addressed. For example, in 'Hey boy, come here', 'boy' is in the vocative case. The Hindi word for boy is लड़का and its vocative case form is लड़के so the translation would be 'हे लड़के, इधर आओ'.

The other two cases are the direct case and the oblique case. The direct case is the default form of the noun and is used whenever the noun is not an object of a postposition (like ने, का, की, के, को, के पास, से, में, पर etc ). The oblique case is the form a noun takes when it is the object of a postposition. When we say that something is the object of a postposition, we mean that the noun phrase it is part of is followed by a postposition. For example, in 'इंग्लैंड की रानी' ( queen of England), the object of postposition की is the noun इंग्लैंड and hence इंग्लैंड is in the oblique case. Similarly, in ' भाई का घर', the object of the postpostion का is the noun phrase 'मेरे भाई' and hence both मेरे and भाई are in the oblique case.

Whether or not a noun changes form in the oblique case depends on the ending of the noun. For example, singular masculine nouns that end with ा in the direct case have their ending changed to े, singular masculine nouns that end with any other sound don't change form in the oblique case etc.

July 6, 2019
Learn Hindi in just 5 minutes a day. For free.