https://www.duolingo.com/profile/bgyoshi

No tree expansion

It's been two years since my last post regarding a possible expansion of the Ukrainian tree. I think it's pretty safe to assume the tree either can't be expanded or the original contributors are simply just busy with life!

This is a great language and it's fun to hear in Ukraine. I hope everyone gets a chance visit there some day!

July 15, 2019

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/HeyMarlana

I agree with you 100%.

I am a bit surprised that things like how to say dates/years and how to tell time are not part of this course. (Before people tell me that there is a way to tell time, I'm sorry, but no. We only learn how to say "It's 6 o'clock now" but not 6:15, 6:30, a quarter to seven, five minutes to seven, no other time than on the hour.)

We're also missing some key prepositions. Behind, through, beside, up, down, under, over... all great examples to give throughout the course, not just within one Skill.

Apparently holiday greetings were once part of the course but are now gone? I don't understand that. Why take something away in an already short course?

While other courses are offering idioms and dating, there isn't anything for Ukrainian. I'm not sure how hard these can be to throw together, but it seems like I'm missing some key, conversational elements.

Some users are showing more vocabulary in their Words list, but these are now phantom words shown in the course's Practice lessons, and not taught in the Skills' individual exercises. This means material has been taken away, and I'm not sure why the decision to do that made any sense. All it means is that someone like me goes through a Practice lesson, finding some word I've never seen before that is necessary to find any sense within the sentence.

I know some of these things can be learned by just grabbing a Ukrainian/English dictionary and finding out for myself how to say certain things, but this is a course after all, that provides vocabulary and sentence structure. We should have a lot more offered than we do. Hopefully this may change in time, but it might require incentive for someone to stick around and expand the course, and be available to answer questions from the users.

July 17, 2019
Learn Ukrainian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.