"I like Egypt a lot."
Translation:أُحِبّ مِصْر كَثيراً.
July 20, 2019
No, some countries have a definite article. Basically, if their names are not proper nouns, they have definite articles. For instance
- Yemen = اليمن means the right (opposite of left) in old Arabic
- Sudan = السودان means the blacks, as in the people who are black
- Irak = العراق means the origin
- Algeria = الجزائر means the islands (this is a special case, since the al- entered in the Latin name)
- Morocco = المغرب means the Occident