Favourite Swahili words
Hi, this is just for fun. I picked up a number of Swahili words that make me smile. I would like to share them with you. More will follow as I learn more ...
- barua pepe e-mail (pepe means wind)
- tutaonana (this was hard to remember, but now I know the grammatical background)
- kelele (noise)
- umelalaje (just nice to say)
- mbwa (real fun it the sound this animal makes)
- lala salama (just sounds so friendly)
A few favorites off the top of my head: maparachichi (avocados); manung'uniko (complaints); ndumilakuwili (two-faced person) -- sometimes spelled other ways; shashimamishi - 1) useless person; rogue; 2) proudly, contemptuously, arrogantly -- I learned the second meaning but apparently the first meaning is more common today (TUKI) ??