Hungarian syntax. With the eyes of a linguist.
I found an interesting article for Hungarian readers. Above all, just a few thoughts:
- The main issue of the Hungarian syntax is the word order.
- The traditional syntactic analysis does not seem appropriate for describing the Hungarian syntax, because the Hungarian word order is managed not by formal rules but by logical rules.
- Instead of subject, verb, object, use the topic-comment concepts.
- There is a huge gap between academic linguistics and language teaching (see Chomsky's generative grammar).
- Teaching Hungarian is just as problematic as teaching Hungarian grammar in the primary school in Hungary.
- The textbook authors are embarrassed to avoid these issues.
August 2, 2019