'The result is this document' and 'This document is the result' I cannot see any difference in the meaning of the two phrases. Both are quite acceptable in English, no!
It might be a good translation, but I think the program is trying to ensure that you know the exact meaning of words such as el vs. este.
I agree. I changed it to "This document is the result" and was marked wrong. In English it is very hard to process "The result is this document". Maybe it makes sense in some other context like "We studied hydrogen bonds for 10 years. The result is this document."
Exactly. If anything, "the result is this document" is the more convoluted phrasing.
Due to Duolingo's focus on vocabulary with little context or explanation, awkward sentences are par for the course. With a little effort, we can usually come up with our own context that makes the sentence work.
It also means that it is reasonable for Duolingo to require more literal, word-for-word translations over more conversational ones.
I also find that alternate word orders often trip up the system. So, it is usually best to keep to the word order given, even if that means a less conversational sentence.
Este is the masculine version of this, used when the gender is known. Esto is the neuter version, used when the gender is not known or not specified.
(Ese/eso follows the same pattern. However, the masculine plural is estos and esos, with the 'o', not the 'e'. Now you know.)
Examples from the internet that use the English sentence:
- The result is this document and our commitment to realizing its goals.
- The result is this document that initiates an Atmosphere Research Flagship programme.
- The result is this document. It outlines a vision for Ontario's system of care for older adults and residential long term care's place within it.
- The result is this document describing a vision for the Harmony Union School District's educational focus and ...
- The result is this document - a comprehensive pandemic influenza plan that provides an integrated response framework for public health services in the County ...
- The result is this document filled with a wealth of extension and skill building ideas ...
- The result is this document, which details Lost-n-Found Youth, Inc.'s strategic plan for the near future.
try harder to use words that don't translate into English so easily. I really don't need to know any Spanish to be able to guess "The result is this document."
Agreed. This document is the result is a better translation. Some of the translations sound a bit stilted in English, but I learn them anyway.
"This document is the result" should be accepted. It is very common for the natural order of a sentence in Spanish to be somewhat different than the order that seems more natural to us in English.
Ok, i cant understand half of what he says. Maybe i got to get used to this man's voice but he speakss way faster....
What a strange sentence. It should be something like: El resultado esta' en este documento. (The result is in this document.) But I suppose the result of a stimulus can be the production of a document.