https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CarlosLM.

Tree "finished" at Crown Level 3. Highlights.

This is the first time I'm studying Latin seriously, and I think Latin is really fun. I started without reading any grammar, as an experiment if I was able to do the whole course without any extra help, but at some point I felt that I was needing to figure out too many things, and other things I was simply learning them "by heart". So I read all the Duolingo tips and notes, and I started to work the exercises along with the Wiktionary and this declension table (https://www.tes.com/en-ie/teaching-resource/latin-noun-declensions-1-5-wjce-gcse-latin-language-nouns-11246967), to know at every moment the function of every word in a sentence, and its particular declension or conjugation. This is a big exercise in patience, as sometimes you will think you know a part of a grammar table just because you're using your short term memory, but the real learning comes with some spaced repetition after some weeks (or maybe months.) Furthermore, my real goal it's to gain some fluidity reading and writing Latin (at an intermediate level), so I need even more practice to internalize all the grammar knowledge, to be able to understand simple Latin texts without thinking in grammar, or write what I want directly without having to analyse too much.

Now I'm very happy, because after getting the Level 3 in the whole tree, I feel that I start to remember most of what it was taught (For example, using an alt account I could get the Latin Owl doing the 2 necessary test-outs, and I only failed one question.) And I also feel that I've gotten a first level of "fluidity", well, if I restrict myself to the Latin words taught so far. :-D

So to celebrate, I made a general revision of what I think are the main points taught by Duolingo so far. Almost all is off the top of my head. I only edited to add some bits which were important for me. Can you fill in the gaps? What do you think of the Latin course so far?

P.S1. For now I'm done, however I'll keep plowing until Crown Level 5, as I think it's important to keep revising so as not to lose my current initial level. Hopefully, a new update of this amazing Latin tree will come soon, before I run out of exercises to do. :-)

P.S2. FYI I almost always type my Duolingo exercises, and try not to use the Word Bank (of course, I hover on words if I need it.) I mainly use the Word Bank to figure out words in the dictation exercises, but at higher Crown Levels sometimes you won't have it, so it's very important to get used to the contributor pronunciation of Latin words. And I wouldn't be too perfectionist about little mistakes in audio due to the influence of the native language. My tip is to just report silently if you think that parts of the audio were clearly mispronounced, and move on.

What you will learn

• 3 first declensions, cases: Nominative, Accusative, Ablative (singular), a bit of locative (for city names), a bit of vocative (for first names)
  • Only present tense, indicative + a bit of Imperative (Da mihi, Noli/nolite + )
  • Auxiliar verbs: soleo, volo, velim, possum, debeo...
  • Special verbs: loquor (deponent), placet/placent.
  • Question words: Quo, unde, quomodo, quid, quis, ubi.
  • Possessive adjectives and pronouns: ego, tu, nos, vos, me, mihi, te, tibi, nobis, vobis, meus, tuus, noster, voster, etc.
  • Time expressions: post/ante (tertiam horam), noctu, interdiu, vesperi, mane, sero, semper, saepe, cotidie...
  • Some mithology: Iuppiter, Mars, Minerva, Bacchus.
  • Roman places: forum, balneum, via, platea, templum, villa (atrium, lararium, cenaculum, cubiculum, culina, latrina, tablinum.)
  • Animals: psittacus(-i), bubo(-nes) [here is our Owl xD], canis(-es), mus(-res).

What you will not learn (at the moment)

• Macrons.
  • 4th, 5th declensions.
  • Almost all verb tenses.

Is it recommendable?

• Yes, totally. It's fun, but maybe it would be even better to wait for a more complete tree.
September 11, 2019, 10:03 AM

0 Comments

Learn Latin in just 5 minutes a day. For free.