https://www.duolingo.com/profile/RainsbowShine

What's your experience speaking Real Life Hawaiian compared to what Duolingo teaches?

Hi there! The questions in this post are directed to people with experience living in Hawaii and speaking the language.

I'm in the Determiner lessons and the examples are things like "Aloha, e ke keiki." Where I lived in Hawaii no one spoke this way. It was simply "Aloha!" or "Aloha [name]." It was implied who was being spoken to, whether an individual or a crowd. As kids we were simply called keiki. No gender separation and singular/plural was implied. These were easily understood by context so the extra markers etc. were unnecessary. So I'm also wondering if this has to do more with speaking vs. writing.

I can't say my understanding of Hawaiian grammar is very advanced at all. My understanding of Hawaiian is practical and from common every day interactions. The lessons here feel very formal so far, as if one needed to write a graduate thesis in Hawaiian. However, what I'm familiar with is a mix of languages. Like Spanglish (Spanish and English). Where multiple languages are used in conversation and we switch back and forth between the languages naturally- even in one sentence. So I'm more familiar with Hawaiian & English mixed rather than straight up Hawaiian. I'd like to be more fluent in Hawaiian.

So aside from words that don't translate quite right into English...

How similar is "Duolingo Hawaiian" to the actual Hawaiian spoken in your area? In your area, are determiners used the way duolingo teaches them? Is this more of a formal way of speaking? Have you noticed regional differences? What are your experiences speaking Hawaiian like in your area? Anyone here have a similar or different experience?

Thanks so much for your input!

September 29, 2019

0 Comments

Learn Hawaiian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.