1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: German
  4. >
  5. "She goes to the concert with…

"She goes to the concert with her two friends."

Translation:Sie geht mit ihren zwei Freunden ins Konzert.

October 18, 2019

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/AlexVasila3

"Sie geht ins konzert mit ihren zwei freunde " if i change the order of the words like this , do i change and the meaning or is a strange way of saying it ?

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Robert-Alexan

Word order is subject to change (but plz keep proper capitalization {F! K!}, word endings/cases {Freunden!} - they won't change). Choosing a different (in particular unusual) word order always shifts the emphasis. Not every word order is possible, but here are the options I find quite common:

• Sie geht mit ihren zwei Freunden ins Konzert. [<-- Just an innocuous word order w/o any particular emphasis]
  • Sie geht ins Konzert mit ihren zwei Freunden. [<-- Another innocuous word order w/o any particular strong emphasis. Depending on pronunciation, there's amybe a slight emphasis on zwei Freunde rather than – let's say – two coworkers]
  • Ins Konzert geht Sie mit ihren zwei Freunden. [<-- unusual position of ins Konzert. This automatically puts emphasis on ins Konzert. They go to the concert rather than – let's say – to the movies. Typical word order for an answer to a question like "What? You're breaking up. Please repeat what you just said. Where did she go with her two friends?"]
  • Mit ihren zwei Freunden geht sie ins Konzert. [<-- unusual position of mit ihren zwei Freunden. This automatically puts emphasis on mit ihren zwei Freunden. She chooses her two friends rather than – let's say – her husband. Typical word order for an answer to a question like "What? You're breaking up. Please repeat what you just said. Who went with her to the concert?"]

These phrases don't work, unless you are Master Yoda of course:

• Ins Konzert mit ihren zwei Freunden [sie geht/geht sie].
  • Mit ihren zwei Freunden ins Konzert [geht sie/sie geht].
Learn German in just 5 minutes a day. For free.