1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Educators
  4. >
  5. homeschooling and high school…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SpartanKing13

homeschooling and high school credit

This is my first experience with using this so I have a lot of questions. First, how do you determine if your student has completed a high school credits worth of Spanish 1? Is there a certain level they are expected to reach or is it based on the credit hours they spend and if the latter, does Duolingo keep track of time spent?

I don't really want to have to assign lessons every day, so is there a way to set it at a required number of minutes a day instead so it moves to the next lesson on it's own when the student has achieved mastery.

How does grading work for high school transcript purposes? Are there quizzes or other assignments that will be graded?

Thanks for any answers you all can give :)

November 20, 2019

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Thomas.Heiss

Hello,

here is their FAQ: https://support.duolingo.com/hc/en-us/categories/202010963-About-Duolingo-for-Schools

I will leave your specific questions in the middle section about concrete classroom handing or task assignments to be answered by "Educators" (avatar with green circle) who are regularly using the schools web UI and are able to give you concrete tips.

My experience is based on learning Portuguese (Brazil), my first Romance language, with Duolingo (and Memrise, 50languages, Mondly,...) for three years.

How did you come to the final conclusion you could use Duolingo:

• as a replacement for a schools Spanish I course
  • to get credited points
  • grade for high school transcripts
  • expect to see any quizzes (to track what you have learned/practiced)
  • use it as a product for "the only learning way"

• set minutes per day (no, Duolingo does not track minutes per day or total hours besides XP points for each completed lesson and/or practice)

• use Duolingo as an official teaching replacement for a schools internal material for homeschooling:
    Shouldn't you be in contact with a real school and a teacher if you make the decision as a parent to teach your kid on your own?
    I would expect at least that you found a local or online school which has a guided program for assistence (your assistence as the parent) so you can stay "on track" and get help from mentors and which exactly provides all those points you are asking above.

..(...)..

A Duolingo Spanish "course" has been updated to align with CEFR A2 (first five sections).
A CEFR tree around theme-oriented topics is different to my classic Portuguese course which - thankfully - still has so many dedicated "grammar skills" (which I can select and review when I want or read the "tips and notes").

Duolingo uses a self-paced method in translating single sentences with prerecorded audio from a text to speech engine but:
It lacks to offer the playback for so many challenges like multiple-choice, "fill the word into the blank" or L1 English -> L2 Spanish translations out-of-the-box
(first you will need a userscript with installed Tampermonkey/Violentmonkey browser addons to workaround this main issue).

A Duolingo classroom does not setup a course with any other material a "normal Duolingo user" has already access to.

If you ask me: You / your kid should not be using Duolingo exclusively and think about it as any replacement, more than an addition.

Honestly, find some other (formal) teaching program which is really directed towards homeschooling, teaching a language in a scripted way, maybe with a linguistic person who exactly knows how to teach a language and who is able to answer all the questions which will come up.

Duolingo for example does not provide teacher drills, formal grammar introduction with video guides in a recorded way, no listening (besides "Duolingo stories") or speaking assignments (1-on-1), no group exercises, etc.

Even after completing a course (we are using the technical term "tree") a student may still fail to pass school exams or a final test if the vocabulary may be any different and if the questions are a bit more difficult like reading a passage of text, listening to a recorded audio story (normal/fast spoken audio, dialog of 2-4 people interacting), having to write an essay by applying what you have "learned" and be forced to construct sentences in the target language.

It is better to know what tests and type are waiting so you can specifically prepare for this.

..(...)..

Duolingo focuses quite much on reading single sentences and understanding the basics of the target language (which is good course), not so much on writing.
The ratio is IMHO not so good so I had added Memrise (web) for learned word reviews quite early; many learners tried to overcome this limitation by adding the ES->EN reverse tree which now also works a bit different by introducing more multiple-choice questions (in the other translation direction) since 2019 and does not really give us the FULL typing exercises we had known from 2016-2018).
All in all, you will be weaker in the end in writing no matter of crowns or a reverse tree as Duolingo can't directly replace a good teacher with a formal degree and linguistic experience.

There are also "type what you hear" mixed challenges for single sentences on the www.duolingo.com web portal.

You can't directly use Duolingo alone for all the points you have given above...my opinion.

Thinking about it, I guess you get maybe a little bit confused about the product name "Duolingo schools", can that be?

It IMHO is just a little web UI to assist (real) teachers in a school classroom with pupils to setup tasks for them in a more structured way to the same course content.

But the Schools Web UI is not a way to get additional "assisted/mentored" learning content for you as the teacher like you asked about credit points, quizzes, etc.

..(...)..

Another question:

How "fit" are you in Spanish yourself?
Have you been trained for years in that language? Do you maybe have any linguistic experience?

Do you think you can help your kid if concrete questions come up which are not covered already in the "sentence discussions"?

I always have so many questions for Portuguese myself when I do the "lessons" but for example I have no personal access to a linguistic person / teacher who really knows his/her stuff so we could discuss it out and I really learn from my made errors or check all of the mentioned alternatives in the discussions which sometimes can be confusing too.

And I think if you might be a Romance language starter for yourself you will just get confused with the more difficult skills (=topics) at the end of the tree in the last two sections for yourself and there is not enough practice to master the material...

.......at least this is what I heared from other Spanish learners on the discussions (the Spanish as well French courses have been updated multiple times in the past years).

I am sorry I have not better news for you.

I have heard about Mango language homeschooling.

Can't believe that there isn't some acredited online school for homeschooling (in the US??) if your local school does not provide any mentorings for parents.

This is how I struggled with Duolingo after trying to learn Portuguese in my first 3-4 months: https://forum.duolingo.com/comment/20450828

As I have already said:

The Spanish CEFR (A2) content and teaching skill order has heavily been changed for that course
(they now expect from you to figure the grammar out for yourself with some provided tips here and there on theme-oriented skills).

You will really have not much clue what grammar or verb tense is hidden behind a skill which you are learning "on-the-fly".
But I am not directly learning with that Spanish course so you need to figure it out for yourself what is exactly different and if you and your kid can get along with it.
Maybe you like it.

I somehow wanted to go into the "speaking direction" in my first 3-6 months...at least this is a point where your kid probably does not directly need to go to in first place.

Looking back I really wish I had found any additional Portuguese resources in my beginning (I still have not).

See the links in the thread about formal / linguistic Spanish courses from colleges / universities about a first semester in a foreign language.

They are different to Duolingo how they teach you normally with assisted teachers and providing those reviews or quizzes / tests you are asking for.

No, I have not started any online course for Spanish but I know that they exist and some do give a very concrete material for several weeks and courses often are also sub divided into multiple parts.

Once I had heard about GCSE and how different the material and tests can be in comparison to Duolingo or what more things a learner is expected to know / to be trained in (listening to spoken dialogs, reading texts, writing essays, speaking).

Maybe you find some good PDF explanations online?!

You can find more course material about Spanish on "Memrise Decks": http://decks.memrise.com

You can also use (single word) search keywords.

As I live in Germany I NEVER had personally experienced such a program or tests like this.
There was no "Spanish" or any other Romance language in school.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.