1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Scottish Gaelic
  4. >
  5. Scottish Gaelic just got its …

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Ollie-Benson

Scottish Gaelic just got its third skill with Tips and Notes - on the Food skill! :D

Just in case anyone doesn't know, you can access the tips and notes (grammar explanations) by clicking on the skill on the course, and then clicking the lightbulb. Hope that helps. I'll post the tips and note sbelow in case it helps anyone :-)

Mòran taing, a contributors for all the work you've put and are putting into the course! It's my personal favourite Duolingo course so far! :D Can't wait to see more!

As always, you can find the tips and notes here as well:

Food and Drink

I like Gaelic

In this skill, you will come across talking about your likes and dislikes.

• ’S toil leam – I like
  • Cha toil leam – I don’t like

These phrases don’t translate nicely into English word for word so for now, it’s best to just think of the full phrase as one item.

What on Earth is a prepositional pronoun?

In the Feelings lesson, you’ll learn some of the pronouns (I, you etc.) to talk about how you or someone else is feeling. We’re not using these just yet. Instead, we’re using what is wonderfully called a prepositional pronoun (although this is a fancy term we don’t need to worry about until later). They can sound daunting but they follow patterns and you will grow to love them. Well ok maybe love is a bit strong but they definitely follow patterns. In this lesson, we’re saying something is, or isn’t, liked “by me”

• ’S toil leam Gàidhlig – I like Gaelic (Gaelic is liked “by me”)

These will become clearer in future lessons so for now, remember the phrases ’S toil leam and Cha toil leam to talk about your likes and dislikes and keep an eye out for future prepositional pronouns.

Guga for beginners

Guga (or the Ness Chicken) is a famous delicacy from the Isle of Lewis. The people of Ness have been taking fledging gannets from a remote rock in the ocean for food since time immemorial. The young birds are salted on the spot and brought back to the island for food. This is one of only two seabird hunts still continuing in Europe. The Royal Society for the Protection of birds regard the hunt as ecologically sustainable.

Guga is generally something you either love or hate. It tastes a bit like mackerel and the smell as it is cooked is generally a lot stronger than the taste. Some love it. It has once between describe as "strong duck stewed in cod liver oil and salt". Blasta! (Tasty).

Haggis - Scotland's Mystery Mince

Haggis is all the best bits of a sheep (the lungs, heart and liver) rolled up into it's stomach and boiled. It is traditionally eaten on Burn's night on the 25th of January but is popular all year round. Vegetarian Haggis is also popular and worth a try. Neither variety roams free on the hills. The wild Haggis is extinct.

December 3, 2019

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/tj4234

Just as a point of interest, the toil in 's toil means pleasure. So the phrase 's toil leam means "pleasure is with me". It's also why TOILichte is one of the words for happy. There are different words for happy, sona being another one we've come across so far, so it may be worth me saying that toilichte is a very upbeat form of happiness.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CIMacAonghais

Thanks for posting! Just to let you know that we have made some changes to that set of notes. Updated set is here:

I like Gaelic In this skill, you will come across talking about your likes and dislikes.

Is toil leam – I like Cha toil leam – I don’t like

These phrases don’t translate nicely into English word for word so for now, it’s best to just think of the full phrase as one item as this stage.

Leam - our first prepositional pronoun A prepositional pronoun is when a pronoun (me, you, him etc.) comes together with a preposition (with, on, at etc.) to make a beautiful word baby. We will see many more examples of these in the course and you do not need to understand what a prepostional pronoun is at this stage to use "leam" like a champ.

In this lesson, we’re saying something is, or isn’t, liked “by me” using the prepositional pronoun "leam".

Leam consists of two words:

a pronoun - "mi" (me/I)

and a preposition - le (with/by)

Is toil leam Gàidhlig – I like Gaelic (Gaelic is liked by me)

These will become clearer in future lessons so for now, remember the phrases Is toil leam and Cha toil leam to talk about your likes and dislikes and keep an eye out for future prepositional pronouns.

Guga for beginners Guga (or the Ness Chicken) is a famous delicacy from the Isle of Lewis. The people of Ness have been taking fledgling gannets from a remote rock in the ocean for food since time immemorial. The young birds are salted on the spot and brought back to the island for food. This is one of only two seabird hunts still continuing in Europe. The Royal Society for the Protection of birds regard the hunt as ecologically sustainable.

Guga is generally something you either love or hate. It tastes a bit like mackerel and the smell as it is cooked is generally a lot stronger than the taste. Some love it. It has once between describe as "strong duck stewed in cod liver oil and salt". Blasta! (Tasty).

Haggis - Scotland's Mystery Mince Haggis is all the best bits of a sheep (the lungs, heart and liver) rolled up into it's stomach and boiled. It is traditionally eaten on Burn's night on the 25th of January but is popular all year round. Vegetarian Haggis is also popular and worth a try. Neither variety roams free on the hills. The wild Haggis is extinct.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/silmeth

I’ve once read a humorous definition of haggis that went something like that:

A regular sheep consists of a stomach in the middle and other parts (like lungs, heart, liver) generally around it. Haggis is basically a sheep, but turned inside-out: the stomach on the outside, the rest of the sheep inside it.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Lenny414

Sounds horrific not humorous

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Raibeart5

Eyes, lungs, pancreas: so many snacks, so little time! :D

Learn Scottish Gaelic in just 5 minutes a day. For free.