Looking at the clan in more detail > 80% from Scotland, and the other 20%?
I'm wondering if there are any stats of where the participants come from? How many percent come from Scotland, England, etc., or the UK in general (if that's not distinguishable in more detail). And what is of special interest to me: how many enthusiasts (coz that's what they/we are) joined in from other countries?
I suppose most here outside this particular course don't have English as their mother tongue. In most courses Duo English is very peculiar, for instance they don't use words like shop, trousers, tap or even cinema. So for instance I decided to do the English from Spanish tree and finished it at level 10. No big deal but it helps to translate Duo into common English
Found something, the Guardian has some numbers: https://www.theguardian.com/education/2020/jan/02/duolingo-sparks-gaelic-boom-as-young-scots-shrug-off-cringe-factor "The Duolingo course, which was launched just before St Andrew’s Day on 30 November and looks likely to be the company’s fastest-growing course ever, has garnered more than 127,000 sign-ups – 80% from Scotland itself, compared with just over 58,000 people who reported themselves as Gaelic speakers in the 2011 Scottish census."
I’d be curious how many of the Scots are also native speakers.
It’s very common to meet folks who have Gaelic from childhood but are afraid to use it now they’re adults, who are ashamed that maybe they don’t have as much of it as they’d like or who have forgotten it through disuse. I met a young woman in Arnol who was university-aged and said her first words were Gaelic and that it was how she spoke to her parents and friends as a child but that once she got to the Nicolson, and especially after she got to university, she didn’t use it and so still understood a bit but rarely spoke it - even though she was now back in the village where she was brought up.
Despite my surname, my father's family were native Gaelic speakers, from the isle of Arran. He told me that his grandfather was fluent but his father had only a little. He passed on to me all he knew, which was basically "Ciamar a tha thu?" "Tha gu math. Ciamar a tha thu fhèin." And I had to look up how to spell that last bit because he never wrote it down.
There were Gaelic programmes on the radio when I was a child but of course I couldn't understand a word. My favourite current affairs TV programme used to be Eorpa, but I needed the subtitles. So I thought I would give this a go.
I discovered there was an Education Act passed by the Westminster parliament in about 1872, and this would have been about the time my grandfather (he of the "little Gaelic") was born. This mandated that all school classes had to be in English, and resulted in a lot of children growing up without retaining much Gaelic. I suspect that's what happened to my grandfather.
I don't expect I'll get good enough to follow a TV programme, but I can try. I have a local acquaintance who is fluent in Gaelic (he's a well-known poet in the language) and he might let me practise on him.
Actually no, although I now live in the Borders. There are two entirely separate families of Kerrs, and the same name is a coincidence of spelling. See the wiki page. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clan_Kerr I'm one of the Arran lot. Not a marsh-dweller!
The Arran Kerrs are highlanders and native Gaelic speakers, or were, as I said above. I'm giving it a shot at getting it back.
Tha mi ann an Bhancoubhair (Canada). There are lots of descendants of Scots found all across Canada (most concentrated in our port cities & east coast), many of whose ancestors were Canadian settlers that didn't choose to leave Alba, but had to. I'm learning Gàidhlig (starting with Duolingo, with plans to move on to college courses) as an act of 'reclaiming' some of my heritage.
Tha mi a Amearaga - I'm a highlander, living at 7500 ft a few miles from Rocky Mountain National Park. But my Scots Ancestors came to Pennsylvania in the 1700's (Gaddis and Stuart roots mainly), so this is all very new and different for me. I am loving it! I also think it is doing good things for my 69 year old brain! Not just guessing words on a crossword, but solving problems and making connections. Slàinte agus mòran taing, a h-uile duine!