3. Topic: Klingon
  4. >
  5. "The ship is big and beautifu…

"The ship is big and beautiful."

Translation:tIn Duj 'ej 'IH.

January 30, 2020

3 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Liri7797

What the hell? Why is ShipAndBeautiful together like that?

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/jdmcowan

I'm not really sure what you are referring to, but I can take some guesses. If you have seen "ShipAndBeautiful" somewhere, that is definitely some sort of error. If so, please tell me more about where you saw this error. Or even better provide a screen shot.

But I'm guessing that what you are actually asking is why the two adjectives are together in the English ("big and beautiful"), but the equivalent words in the Klingon sentence are not together (tIn 'ej 'IH). You may be pleased to know that they can be grouped together if you move the subject to after the second verb:
tIn 'ej 'IH Duj. "It is big and the ship is beautiful."

You may notice that I changed the English translation a little. Because tIn and 'IH are verbs in Klingon and not really adjectives, you sort of have to treat each one like a complete sentence. The translation given at the top of the discussion (tIn Duj 'ej 'IH) could also be translated back to English as, "The ship is big and it is beautiful" (making the full sentence relationship more explicit).

When you leave the subject off of the first verb and hold it until the second verb it can seem a little odd. It's not really as weird in the Klingon as it is in the English translation I gave of "It is big and the ship is beautiful" (which is especially odd because we have to use a subject pronoun in English, rather than just leave it off as in Klingon). But the Klingon sentence still creates a little hesitation as we wait for the subject to be stated. If we were conjoining two long and complicated sentences and you held the subject for the second sentence, it would be very confusing and annoying. But in short sentences like this, you may sometimes want to hold the subject until the end as a way of creating an aesthetic difference or of building tension.

Part of why "big and beautiful" sounds so good in English is because of the alliteration. tIn 'ej 'IH doesn't sound quite as nice in Klingon. In Klingon tIn 'ej tIS ("big and light") might be a good phrase to hold the subject on because of the playful alliteration. Or maybe you are using word play in another way. Maybe you have lead your listener to think you are talking about a person and intend the fact that it's a ship to be a surprise: tIn 'ej 'IH.... Duj!

I hope that has answered your question and helped you understand better. But if you still have any questions, please feel free to ask.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Tortitudette

My guess is that this user was on iOS and using the word bank when this exercise came up. As a result, an unfortunate issue with how the iOS Duolingo software treats the letter (and in particular words that start with it) would have combined what should have been three tiles into one, leading to a single Duj’ej’IH tile.

Learn Klingon in just 5 minutes a day. For free.
Get started