"It is between the books."
Translation:Het staat tussen de boeken.
July 19, 2014
It's not wrong grammatically but it is quite unusual to use 'is' in this case. Mostly we use either:
- staat (when the 'it' is placed vertically, like vase or a glass)
- ligt (when 'it' lies flat, like a sleeping cat)
- bevindt zich (if you don't want to specify the actual position of 'it' )
Note that 'tussen' means both 'among' and 'between', so when you say:
- Het ligt ergens tussen de boeken.
It usually means:
- It is somewhere among the books.