1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Educators
  4. >
  5. EleanorAdult Ed

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/EleanorTho983573

EleanorAdult Ed

Hi - I like the look of Tiny Cards and would like to be able to assign them to my students but a) they are all different languages and all learning English, and b) they are adults! Has anyone figured out some fun activities for English Learners to do? I am totally new to this whole Duolingo website and totally unsure how to use it! I have added all my students and put a link in Google Classroom but that is as far as I have gotten and I am sure there must be loads they could be doing.

Any suggestions gratefully received :-).

April 24, 2020

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MadameSensei

I think adults like to play games as much as kids.

When you're designing decks of Tinycards, put pictures on one side and the word or phrase on the other. That way, it doesn't matter which language is your students' native language. Also, it's better for them to stay in the target language, anyway. Don't forget to enable the voice on the side with the words. I also disable the button that says "allow typos," because I think spelling is important.

You can do a search to find if anyone has already made decks that you would like to use.

My physical classroom is nothing but games, games, games. Okay, I exaggerate, but I am grieving the loss of some very fun activities we were going to do. It's hard to play a game remotely. I have been racking my brains.

I believe there are Duolingo Stories in English...? (Click on the thing that looks like a book at the top. I can't see that view since I don't have ESL Stories enabled, but I think I recall hearing that there are Stories in English. I know for a fact that there are some for native Mandarin speakers. There are German, Portuguese, French, and Spanish in the main view.) I gave a couple of my classes the written script, with instructions to cut it into strips, scramble them, and try to re-assemble them without listening. I also like to give the students writing prompts to add a character, change a line, or draw and label the scene.

For the main Duolingo Tree, you can set up class contests. Honestly, it's game-like enough that I don't have a problem motivating my students.

Be sure to use the "Assignment" button in the classroom. This will help you track the students' progress more.

Keep asking questions! We are all in this together.