https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Ctxkh1Me

Coordination

I'm trying to figure out the nuances of coordination, and hope that someone who understands it well can fill in the parts that I don't understand or correct my mistakes. To start with, final vowel lengthening appears to work fine with differences in number or gender:

• Dārys dāriā sindiliot udekurzi. "The king and the queen are approaching the marketplace."
  • Parklon, havon, drōmā sindītīs! "Buy meat, bread, and eggs!"

When the gender and number are the same, adjectival agreement appears to be straightforward (with the the singular form of adjectives being used when multiple singular nouns are joined).

• Sīr jeve muñe kepē vūjītīs! "Now kiss your mother and father!"
  • Īlva muña kepā īlōn jorrāelzi. "Our mother and father love us."

So what happens when the nouns have different number and/or gender? Apparently vowel lengthening can still be used, as seen in

• Bisi ñuhor qȳbor ñuha velmā issi. "These are my mother's younger brother and my father's older sister.

However, it notably can't be used if the adjectives differ:

This leads me to ask:

• How does this work for adjectives modifying different numbers, as in "my (older) brother and (older) sisters?" Would it be the same as with different genders, where the adjective is repeated, giving ñuha lēkia _ñuhi mandī?
  • If the adjectival form is the same for differing nouns (as with gevie for Lunar and Solar nouns), what happens? Would you say gevie dārys dāriā "the beautiful king and queen"?
  • What if multiple adjectives are used, and some take identical forms and others don't, as in "my beautiful king and queen?"

Any insight would be appreciated!

May 8, 2020

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/KyleSmith-Laird

Rytsas, ñuhys raqiros!

Just a caveat: I'm just a student of HV like you. I do teach foreign language (Latin), and am bilingual French/English.

From what you have included, I would deduce this to be the rule (obviously the creator should weigh in for a definitive answer).

1. For adjectives modifying different numbers and different genders, you repeat the possessive article.

Let's consider the example you cited: "bisi ñuhor qȳbor ñuha velmā issi."

You can see that "ñuhor" (my) is before qȳbor, an aquatic noun, and "ñuha" (my) is before velmā, a lunar noun. Nouns of different genders therefore repeat the possessive adjective (ñuh-/my).

1. If the adjectival form is the same for nouns of differing genders, I suspect (based on my answer above) that you would repeat the possessive adjective, if only for clarity.

I also thought about how I would say "the beautiful king and the beautiful queen" in languages other than English, and I found myself repeating the adjectives to ensure that the speaker understood that the adjective applied to each noun.

To my mind, saying "gevie dārys dāriā" means that only the king is beautiful, ergo, "the beautiful king and queen," implying that only the king is beautiful. So I would say, "gevie dārys gevie dāriā" to mean "the beautiful king and the beautiful queen."

Welcome to the Department of Redundancy Department.

That said, I hope I'm wrong.

1. "ñuhys gevie dārys ñuha gevie dāriā" is how I would put it based on my previous logic as well as the different forms for ñuh-/my.

Hope that made sense.

Geros ilas!

KSL

Learn High Valyrian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.