Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/araparseghian

Just completed the Dutch tree!

araparseghian

Thanks to Lavinae, KaiEngle, Rhynn, kirlll, and MrsKwakker for all they've done for the course. Now I can go to Amsterdam with substantial experience in Dutch. Well, substantial for an American, anyways.

A few comments about the course:

1. I was impressed by how thorough the course was. Clearly you five were very committed to giving us the full Dutch experience. Kudos.

2. There were a lot of mistakes, though. Some happened to be the difference between passing and failing a level. Also, I must have gotten at least 30 emails a day saying my alternate translation had been accepted. But I guess that's why they beta-test it.

3. Really liked the culture section at the end. The Netherlands was the one part of Europe I never really learned that much about in school (probably because they never get involved in any wars). But now I'm really looking forward to experiencing Dutch culture firsthand.

4. I especially liked the food section, but I noticed one glaring omission: the best Dutch drunk food, bitterballen en mosterdsaus!

5. I still can't pronounce the Dutch 'g' or 'sch'. And when I try to, I inevitably end up getting a sore throat. Clearly I need speech therapy. That's why you don't smoke, kids.

6. Being a native English speaker and B1 in German, I was incredibly lucky to have completed the course so quickly. If I didn't have that German background, I'd be killing myself over the grammar and syntax. At least there's no cases in Dutch.

7. Owing to my (even stronger) French background, I would often mistakenly translate 'je' as 'I'. Must have made that mistake at least a dozen times.

8. On that note, I find the concept of strong versus weak pronouns incredibly annoying and arbitrary. Same with 'de' and 'het'.

9. Much as I'm looking forward to Amsterdam, I'm tempted to make a side trip to the Wadden Islands just to see those seals.

10. Bring on Irish and Danish!

4 years ago

81 Comments