"Conosco una ricercatrice."

Translation:I know a researcher.

May 12, 2013

This discussion is locked.


Ricercatritre... ricercatchri... ricercatrite... ricerciat... ricertatr... ricercatitre...

Anyone else having problems saying this?


I've had to practice it like 600 times to actually say it correctly.


I think the problem pronouncing it is why it's here. I take several languages on Duo. They mostly all teach the same occupational words (doctor, lawyer, engineer, teacher, nurse, secretary, manager etc). This is the only one that teaches researcher that I take. Either there are a lot of researchers in Italy, or they want to drill the word because it is difficult.

[deactivated user]

    Most definitely, very difficult


    Rice....cat....attire.........? Close enough!


    Put the emphasis on the 4th syllable, and remember that c followed by a makes the hard k sound


    another word for "i know" is "so" right? but i think its a dieferent kind of knowing. is it true? or it suits here?


    My understanding is that conosco is for people and relationships while sapere is to know about information and things in general.


    You're bang on!


    x2 it would seem like "i know of" would be accepted as possible english translation when referring to ppl...but its not.


    I wrote "I know of" because I think that's more accurate, representing familiarity with a thing. I think it should be accepted. "Conoscere" can also be used for objects as well as people. Like "Do you know of waterfalls, smartphones, Burma, etc?" would be conoscere, as opposed to " I know waterfalls are made of water, smartphones can be android or iOS or Burma is a country.", which would all be sapere. Conoscere = Familiarity, Sapere = information


    Use sapere for facts and conoscere for familiarity (not just "knowing" a person). The city isn't a fact, so you say, "Conosco la città" and not "So la città." "Know of" would probably (in most cases anyway) be translated with conoscere, but that doesn't mean conoscere is always translated "know of." If the direct object of "conoscere" is a person or something that you could "know" well but that isn't factual, I would instinctively try just "know" before "know of."


    My answer is correct why does it not accept - i know a female researcher is correct


    Yeah but you don't say 'I know a female researcher', it's just not how people speak. The same as when it says 'conosco una dottoressa', you only say 'I know a doctor', you don't say 'I know a female doctor'. The only reason it's specified when you speak Italian is because the gender forms the suffix of the nouns. As well as using the literal translations of each word to translate a sentence (even though as beginner learners that's as much as we can do at times), you also have to extrapolate and think 'What could that mean?', just like how 'dire' is 'to say' but sometimes it translates as 'to tell'.


    It's good to tolerate an answer that specifies the full meaning. That shows that the person understands the "target language." After all, if you are learning Italian from English, it SHOULD be ASSUMED you know English already. The important things is to LEARN ITALIAN, Right?

    • 1600

    It now accepts, 'I know a female researcher.'


    You can suggest it at "Reporter a problem".


    Especially since the previous question suggested the word "lady" as part of the answer


    i have no idea how to pronounce this. REE-chair-cah-th(d)ree-cheh?

    [deactivated user]

      This one is sooo hard


      Why isn't "Conosco" pronounced with the "sc" as "sh"? Doesn't "sc" mean "sh"?


      sc before a, o, u is pronounced as sk. Before e, i it is pronounced as sh. If you need the sk sound before e, i, you need an extra h there, like in tasca, tasche


      "Ricercatrice"?? That's a really weird form... Why isn't it just "un ricercatore"?


      It's the female version. Like in english we use actress and actor, waitress and waiter, dominatrix and dominator, yet we don't (commonly) use a female version for researcher. In Italian you do.


      Can i write the reasercheress?


      I think it would be marked as incorrect


      Why not scientist?


      so there is no male for researcher in italian language?


      Yes there is, it's il ricercatore. It's just that both translate to researcher in English so you don't need to make the distinction between male and female in your translation.


      A female researcher is a researcheress. My answer should be accepted.


      I don't think so. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=researcheress

      It's not a universal rule in English that you can add -ess to any thing ending in -er or -or to make it refer to a woman. A female researcher is still a researcher.


      Io conosco molte ricercatrici!


      The hover-on misses to specify that this is the female form (just clarifying my report) of "researcher."

      And I also wonder why in english the "-esse" is not always used, but... "such is life" :)


      I know a researcher (female) marked incorrect for I know a researcher. Yet previous answer was "lady" . UNA is "a" female modifying riceratrice (giocatrice and giocatore) (il conduttore la conduttrice)


      Lady researcher should be accepted


      I definitely agree. Why use "una ricercatrice" if they did not want to emphasize "female" or "lady"?


      It can also mean investigator, correct? In Spanish translates that way


      In a previous item it translated ricercatrice as a lady researcher, but in this one it was incorrect to say I know a lady researcher. Make up my mind.


      In the biblical sense...


      ri-tcherka-tri-tchi >> oh god hahah

      [deactivated user]

        Yeah, your husband


        What is wrong with "I know a researcher woman"?


        If it was "ricercatore" would you feel it necessary to say "I know a researcher man"?


        is it polite or non-offensive to use the female gendered versions of nouns in Italian? Is it standard? In English, most of the female-suffix nouns have become archaic (eg. saying hostess vs host remains as a rare case, but if you called someone an engineress, she'd deck you for a good reason) so I jsut wanted to check. Native speakers?


        I put lady researcher to highlight it's a female and got marked wrong??


        Da ❤❤❤❤ is wrong with "scientist"?!!! Gotta start all over again cause of that!


        Well bully for you.


        Why not 'I meet a researcher'? Perfectly valid & correct English translation but not accepted by DL!


        "i know of a researcher who studies x" means something different from "i know a researcher who studies x". I must have at least met the latter, but might only have read or heard about the former.


        Richè-cat-tea-tre.... The best way to break it down

        [deactivated user]

          Is "a researcher" a common occupation in Italy or do they really mean an investigator, like in the police or for insurance etc.


          That's so funny. I just asked a similar question yesterday in another one of these sentences here. Actually, I didn't think it might be something else, but that's a possibility. It was just that I take several Duo courses and they mostly all have the same type of occupations, and they are the ones that you might expect. Italian is the only one that teaches researcher. I do know the English word, of course. But I hear more about someone doing research in something than simply referred to as a researcher. It just seemed a little strange.


          A hundred times?

          Learn Italian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.