"Tu veux celle-là ou celle qui est plus serrée ?"

Translation:Do you want that one or the one that is tighter?

June 23, 2020

This discussion is locked.


"You want that one or the tighter one?" is also accepted.


Why not this one that is tighter?


That would be:

Tu veux celle-là ou celle-ci qui est plus serrée ?


I can see that that is one way of expressing it, but as 'celle' is normally translated as 'this' or 'that', since it is being used in contrast to 'celle-là' it seems to me that the 'ci' is superfluous. See https://www.lawlessfrench.com/grammar/demonstrative-pronouns/, where it says, "The singular adjectives [actually demonstrative pronouns, celui and celle] can both mean "this one" or "that one""


I really think that Duo needs to look at the range of English answers allowed. I am getting all of the French answers right and failing on most of the English answers. I am a native speaker and most of my English answers are correct.


You should use the report button if you believe your translation should be accepted. Sentence discussions are not for reporting errors.


Atervanda is right. This is a user forum, in which Duo does not participate. If you have a specific question, on the other hand, sometimes other users can provide insight.

Learn French in just 5 minutes a day. For free.