1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Finnish
  4. >
  5. "Mies, joka asuu Italiassa, o…

"Mies, joka asuu Italiassa, on kanadalainen professori."

Translation:The man who lives in Italy is a Canadian professor.

June 25, 2020



Cool: a non-restrictive relative clause introduced this early in the course.


Is it non-restrictive though? If I'm not mistaken, in Finnish the comma is always required for any clause. I wonder if Finnish makes the distinction between restrictive and non-restrictive relative cause (which is indeed a nifty feature, I'd say.)


This distinction between restrictive and non-restrictive relative clauses is kind of superfluous in my opinion. I'm no English native and although I learned English for more than ten years at school, I never came across this one. I only became aware of it some years ago, and I really don't understand why it's so important in English.


It's certainly not a necessary feature for a language (most languages do fine without it, including my native language and apparently Finnish), I just personally find it nice to be able to distinguish between the two every now and then. :p

I wonder where it comes from though - as it's a punctuation rule in English, it's likely that it's a relatively new "invention" by the grammarians. (I think some language uses word order to mark the distinction with adjectives, but I'm not sure.)

[deactivated user]

    Why not the man that lives?


    It's possible but less common than "the man who lives" and it sounds a bit less formal (and possibly even slightly derogatory to some people).

    Restrictive relative clauses:

    people: who (that - less common, often proscribed)
    things: that/which ("which" may be proscribed in some dialects)

    Non-restrictive relative clauses (with a comma!):

    people: , who ("that" is not possible)
    things: , which ("that" is not possible)


    In English, it's more common to use who for a person and that for an object.

    [deactivated user]

      Couldn't this have also been 'A man' rather than 'The man' ?


      Okay, so there is no "Canadian language" strictly speaking... Let's take French as an example then: I suppose "ranskalainen professori" means a professor of French nationality/origin. So how would one say "a professor that teaches the subject of French"? "ranskan professori"? "ranskan kielen professori"?


      You could use either. If the context gives enough clues, "ranskan professori" is okay, but "ranskan kielen professori" is certainly less ambiguous (and the better alternative).


      I misspelled "professor" as "proffesor" I don't think it's Finnish I need to learn right now XD

      Learn Finnish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.