1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Finnish
  4. >
  5. "Yksi pieni pirtelö, kiitos."

"Yksi pieni pirtelö, kiitos."

Translation:One small milkshake, please.

July 6, 2020



Mun pirtelö tuo kaikki pojat pihalle.


One small human please


Dare I ask what Finns consider a "milkshake"?

What on the US west coast is called a "milkshake" --a blend of milk and ice cream beaten together-- is on the east coast called a "frappe". What is called a "milkshake" on the east coast --milk, shaken up with a flavoring until frothy-- is a completely different drink.


Huh. I've spent very little time on the west coast but I don't recognize your description of an east coast milkshake. I've had a lot of east coast milkshakes but never what you've described.


I think frappe is that thing you can order in McDonald's or Starbucks, and it is called pirtelö everywhere else. Also a mixed milk drink (other than strawberry milk, blueberry milk, or cocoa) is pirtelö for me.

This reminds me of a conversation on a Finnish forum. They started discussing whether smoothie could be called pirtelö in Finnish because smoothie is sometimes hard to conjugate and hard to pronounce in the middle of Finnish. Some people thought it would be good, as there are smoothies with yogurt too, but some thought that a fresh fruit smoothie shouldn't be under the same label as a pirtelö that may contain a fair amount of ice cream and sugar and zero vitamins. There were people suggesting sosejuoma (mashed drink) or other new words. There were also some who said that some smoothies contain milk, but others told that it's not a real smoothie and that they're just calling it that to take advantage of the trend and it should be actually called pirtelö...


Hmm, interesting. I don't see "pirtelö" and "frappe" being the same thing at all. A frappe is something rather icy and has cream on top, maybe even a sauce of some kind. I associate frappes with chocolate, caramel, coffee and such flavours.

A milkshake, for me, is fruits and/or berries mixed with milk, and possibly vanilla ice cream. Of course there are chocolate ones as well, and I can see these overlapping with frappes a bit, all the while having a different, smoother structure.


Interesting. Maybe it's a generational thing? I was last back there and ordering frappes in... '84? Or maybe it was strictly a New England thing, rather than the east coast as a whole? I was mostly in ME and MA. I never saw the point of getting an east coast "milkshake" when I could instead get a frappe, so maybe that particular drink has died out and what was a frappe has now taken over as a "milkshake".


Yeah, maybe things have changed, though I've spent most of a half century on the east coast. Lately I'm in Vermont. You do see the word "frappe" on menus, but generally it's just a classier word for milkshake.


Sounds like we're of the same era. If I had to guess, I'd say that shaken-milk milkshakes became less popular and were taken off the menu. Meanwhile frappe-milkshakes became more universally known as milkshakes, leading to frappe being now seen as a classier word for milkshake. Add in creeping homogenization of language across the country, of course. But you used to be able to get either at Friendly's, in MA. Not sure about VT; I haven't spent as much time there.

From Wiki: "An ice cream-based milkshake may be called a thick shake to distinguish it. In parts of New England and eastern Canada, the name frappe is used."


All of which is diverging considerably from the study of Finnish...


Could someone give an explanation about the word pirtelö. How it is formed.. Kiitos !!

Learn Finnish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.