1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Finnish
  4. >
  5. "Video pätkii."

"Video pätkii."

Translation:The video keeps buffering.

July 11, 2020


[deactivated user]

    If you're going to have an English with buffering, you could simply have the Finnish with "bufferoi".

    "Pätkii" in Finnish simply means something repeatedly goes on and off. It can be a video, sound, even electricity.

    Also, when watching videos, it is always buffering even if it doesn't pätki.

    I think this is a poor example.


    Although it is true that videos are always buffering (at least until they are completely loaded), that process is invisible unless the connection is slow and the video player has temporarily run out of additional video to play. People, therefore, tend to point it out in English using that word only when the process becomes visible and their enjoyment of the video has been rudely interrupted.

    • 1977

    I think you said it well and agree with you on everything else but would beg to differ to say that bufferoi is poor Finnish. The translation for buffering would be puskuroi but in such a situation I would just probably say video ei lataudu, yhteys on liian hidas or something like that. The main problem is that pätkiä has a quite definite concept in Finnish and the translation would require some context to be useful.


    Agreed. Maybe "The video keeps breaking up" would be a better translation here. This is also closer to the generic meaning of the word.


    is buffering should be enough. Where does keep come from?


    The verb pätkiä comes from pätkä + , which is a suffix turning nominals into verbs "describing repeating or continuous action" (see Wiktionary link). In English, is buffering would probably be enough to describe continuous action, but keeps emphasizes that the action is not only continuous but repeating.


    I have a question more about English than about Finnish here. I've encounter already three totally different translations for the verb "pätkiä": one for wifi, one for the video and one for the sound (which tells me something about how good is Finnish:)). Anyway, is there some nice English word which would fit buffering video, unstable wifi and discontinuous sound? Eventually, of course, I'll learn all the specific English terms used here... But seems like I'll never use them for anything except this lesson))


    "Lagging" would probably fit a buffering video. In fact, I think it's even more accurate, because if it's not a streamed video, then it's obviously not buffering at all. When it comes to unstable wifi and discontinous sound, the verb phrase that is applicable to that would be "cutting out".


    Unfortunately English does not have a catch all verb for technology being slow. In general, more specific knowledge about the type of badness is required if you want to pick the right verb.

    For example "lag" is a delay between an action and the result of that action while "buffering" is media stopping while the data is loaded to your machine. While the effect is roughly the same, you can't freely interchange these words.


    Buffering does not imply that the stream has to stop: in fact, any video player is buffering data all the time while it is playing. It is only when the play speed is faster than then input stream that the effect that is commonly described as "lagging" occurs, that is, that the video stream breaks up.


    Yes, that's technically true. However, in most contexts the English sentence really means: "The video keeps pausing in order to buffer". Saying "it's buffering" is a common shorthand. This meaning entered non-technical English via the message that was given when streamed videos paused themselves to buffer: "Buffering..."

    Obviously I can't speak for every English speaker, but I would never call this "lagging". In my experience, that word is normally reserved for a delay between an action and the result of that action. So video games and video calls lag but movies buffer (or stop/pause/load).

    I would definitely argue all of these words (including lagging) should be accepted here because they could all translate to "Video pätkii". But the question was if English has a catch-all word for slow/intermittent technology. I believe the correct answer is no.


    Not a polite word, certainly.


    Sound and video might 'stutter' while buffering. Maybe not as appropriate when applied to unstable wifi. People may stutter when they have speech problems.


    At Sanakirja.org they offer "to cut into pieces" as translation for "pätkiä", which seems to be the most generic translation that fits all these cases: your WiFi connection, your video stream, your sausage, etc. can all be "cut into pieces".


    Why isn't "cutting out" accepted? For the layman that is the term more often used.


    Should "the video is choppy" be considered correct?


    How would you say "the video is buffering?"


    "Video puskuroi" or "Video bufferoi".


    All this talk about buffering is a bit too technical and not very useful IMHO. "is breaking up" which is in the hints is not accepted, and that would be my preferred option.


    What is buffering? That is not a term that I would use in England.

    [deactivated user]

      "keeps"??? Maybe vielä (still) should be there video vielä pätkii


      you are trying to say "breaking up" as from an audio or video signal? That would seem to be a better translation of pätkii from the comments to date 20210908

      Learn Finnish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.