3. Topic: Finnish
  4. >
  5. "This mustard is strange."

"This mustard is strange."

Translation:Tämä sinappi on outoa.

July 12, 2020

6 Comments

[deactivated user]

When using tää in stead of tämä this is deemed incorrect. The question is whether duolingo should include the most simple version of puhekieli as correct. What do you think?

[deactivated user]

Usually puhekieli isn't taught at all because it varies from place to place and it doesn't have any standard forms.

[deactivated user]

How about using the most well-used parts of puhekieli, like "mä oon", "sit", "tää". What often confuses me, is the use of "et" which can either be a denial or an abbreviation of "että". As a foreigner these are harder to recognize if you have never seen them used. One of the complaints I have read about courses, is: "No one speaks like what you learn in the course: that is frustrating". Remark, that I am not saying we should do a complete puhekieli course. But it might help to make the non-Finnish speaker aware of some parts of puhekieli. Isn't the puhekieli in the south (near Helsinki) the most well know puhekieli? Maybe it is an idea to show the puhekieli version of easy parts as an alternative? Then again, I have no idea if duolingo would support this .....

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MCRmadness

You do have a point here. It's the puhekieli (spoken language) that differs from the written language (kirjakieli) the most. I have heard that people who have learnt the written language then come to Finland and realize they basically know nothing because the spoken language is so different. There's so many rules "broken" all the time. People are no longer "hän" but "se", the 1st person plural uses the ending of passive, words lose letters from the middle and/or the end, other words get combined with each other and whatnot...

Puhekieli itself then doesn't differ much from region to region, it's mainly the dialects (murre, murteet) that can have words that are uncommon or nonexistent in other dialects, and these affect how words are formed - some dialects get rid of letters and some add some extra ones and/or they replace letters with other letters. (And there's at least 5 ways of saying 'minä' in Finnish already.) But everyone here understands each other's dialect after all. I myself speak the Savo dialect and for me the only one that I don't always understand is the Helsinki slang because of so many loan words that I don't know the meaning of.

I think some additional extra skills about spoken language basics might be nice for those who are actually interested in that side of the language. There's probably people who learn Finnish on DL just for fun and then people who might take it more seriously and would actually benefit from that as they don't really teach spoken language in the books nor courses ever and it's something you learn only from the native people and that can be very difficult to do if you don't live in Finland and get exposed to the spoken language on a daily basis. (TV shows, like soap operas, can be a great tool for this too. They often use the Helsinki area dialect (not the slang) and it's a good source of spoken language, and often things are also clearly articulated, but it's harder to find these with subtitles when needed.)

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/ss6rge

Why outoa not outo?

[deactivated user]

I think sinappi (mustard) is a mass noun. That would require partitive. There's a sort of a FAQ in the general Finnish discussion group. It explains when and why to use partitive pretty extensively. Also uusikielemme.fi has an article on partitives.

I just found the title of the discusson in the Finnish forum: ""Unofficial" grammar tips for all Finnish learners - FAQ list (Updated on August 5th, retitled)". Look it up. It really helps.

Learn Finnish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.