"My siblings are wolves."

Translation:Ñuhyz dubyssy zokli issi.

July 22, 2020

2 Comments
This discussion is locked.

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/BuffyMarq

Nuhyz nuha nuhor im so confused

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Ctxkh1Me

Hopefully I can offer a useful explanation. Feel free to skip over the parts you already know, and ask any questions about parts you don't understand.

To quote the lesson tips,

High Valyrian is a language whose nouns inflect for gender, number, and case. Adjectives will agree with all three of these elements.

Every noun in High Valyrian belongs to one of four grammatical genders: Lunar, Solar, Terrestrial, and Aquatic. To determine the gender, look at the ending of the noun in the nominative singular case. That's the case used as the subject of the sentence. In the sentence Atroksia ēdrus "the owl is sleeping," atroksia is singular (as opposed to plural), and nominative (it is the noun that is performing the action).

• Lunar nouns end in vowels (a, y, o, e, i). You can tell that vala "man" is lunar, because it ends with -a.
  • Solar nouns end in -s. Azantys "knight," raqiros "friend," vandis "bull," and zaldrīzes "dragon" are all examples of solar nouns.
  • Terrestrial nouns end in -n. Lenton "house" is an example of a terrestrial noun.
  • Aquatic nouns end in -r. Lōgor "ship", qintir "turtle," and sēter "enchantment" are examples of aquatic nouns.

Adjective that describe those nouns must agree with their gender. This mean that the ending of the adjectives will change to reflect the nouns. So, ñuha "my" would become ñuha kēli "my cat", ñuhys azantys "my knight," ñuhor lōgor "my boat" or ñuhon lenton "my house." As you can see, the endings of the adjectives tend to resemble those of the nouns.

Similarly, adjectives reflect whether the noun is singular or plural, as in rōvon dēmalion "the large throne" versus rōva dēmalia "the large thrones."

As mentioned above, nouns have cases. You've already seen this, in sentences such as vala azanti urnes "the man sees a knight." Vala is in the nominative case, since the man is the one performing the action, while azanti is in the accusative case, because it is the object of the verb. If we want to swap the roles, we would have azantys vale urnes "the knight sees a man." Because the cases of the nouns are different, their endings have changed.

Adjectives also will change to reflect the case of the nouns. Compare rōva vala azanti urnes "the large man sees a knight" versus azantys rōve vale urnes "the knight sees a large man."

While I would happily provide a full chart of the endings, there are three types of adjectives, and I would have to address every gender, case, and number. Fortunately, others have done this work: https://wiki.dothraki.org/High_Valyrian_Adjectives

While this may seem intimidating, understanding how this works should make it easy to observe and learn the patterns as your practice. Be patient and have faith in yourself!

Learn High Valyrian in just 5 minutes a day. For free.