Strange that socks and stockings are the same word, because they're really not the same item. I'm going to suggest "tights" as an alternative answer, which is the word I used for stockings and got wrong. But maybe there is a different word for tights, as they are also a little different to stockings, being joined at the top. ?
English (British) / Italian / Spanish (Spain) / French (France)
- socks / i calzini / los calcetines / les chaussettes
- ankle socks (US: bobby socks) / i calzini corti / los calcetines cortos / les socquettes
- stockings / le calze, le autoreggenti / las medias / les bas
- tights / i(l) collant / las medias (panty) / le(s) collant(s)
- leggings / i legging, il pantacollant / la(s) malla(s) / le(s) legging(s)
The "autoreggenti" are stockings that hold on the legs with no extra fastening needed.