1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Educators
  4. >
  5. Can I cater to my assignments…

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MelissaDil598290

Can I cater to my assignments according to various language levels?

Hi all!

I am new to Duolingo. I teach Spanish at a Junior College. I have students will all language levels (from beginners to advanced) in the same class and I was wondering if the Duolingo app gives me the flexibility to assign tasks in a more individualized way, so I can give easier tasks to my beginner students and more challenging tasks to the advanced ones. If so, how do I do it?

Thanks for the help!

August 25, 2020

1 Comment

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/MadameSensei

What you will want to do, MelissaDil, is assign "XP" (points) instead of skills. That way, students can work from where they are, and you can see their progress.

As your students join, they will have to option to take a placement test. They may be disappointed where they land. (I laughed when I walked my colleagues through the test, and they only unlocked a third of the tree...) So after your students take the placement test, they will see that there are a bunch of skills, and then a circle with a castle in it. Clicking on the castle gives you the option to test out of all the skills before it. I am not sure that the castle awards XP points, though. So they might have to do one additional lesson to get your weekly (or daily) assignment points.

When you test out of anything, there will be three hearts in the upper right next to the status bar. When you lose your hearts (four chances), then you get "wah wah" music and are unsuccessful in testing out. When you do the lesson normally without trying to test out (using a computer, not a phone), there are no hearts and you get infinite chances to make it to 100% completion. That's why I love Duolingo -- It gives students that essential instant feedback that I am missing in this remote environment.

Keep posting questions as you have them! We are all in this together.

Learn a language in just 5 minutes a day. For free.