"The girl and the boy are reading a newspaper."

Translation:Pigen og drengen læser en avis.

August 27, 2014

13 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/dorienmast

Still hard to remember the different spellings of boy, the boy, boys, etc. Gets confusing

July 10, 2018

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/eboyle19

What is the difference between "en" and "et?" Why are there two words for "a?" Does it indicate whether a word is masculine or feminine?

August 27, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/tinbob

Yes. (Although technically speaking, it's not 'masculine' or 'feminine' genders in Danish, but it's the same idea; the nouns belong to one or the other 'class' of nouns and that affects the way they behave grammatically, for example, which article they take. So some nouns take the 'en' article and others take 'et'.)

August 27, 2014

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SatyaBhat

Hi there 'en' and 'et' both are for 'a' unfortunately there are no rules for 'en' and 'et' words. Just about 75% of words fall in the 'en' category and the rest 25% in the 'et'. The way to know is to look in the dictionary if the word is an 'et' or an 'en' word. I hope this helps.

May 16, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/KateBoyles

I'm sorry you said 75% is en and 25% is en, so which is the typo?

November 9, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SatyaBhat

Apologies I have corrected this now. 75% 'en', 25% 'et'

November 9, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/KieranFJ

Am i the only one who noticed ome of the options said nyhedsavis? (Which according to Google translate means news newspaper

November 24, 2017

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Arabella210259

I saw it too

June 5, 2019

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DeoIgnoto

Why i can say pigen og drengen læser avisen

August 6, 2015

https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Xneb
Mod

    That means "The girl and the boy read the (specific) newspaper"

    August 7, 2015

    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DeoIgnoto

    Thanks for the explanation Xneb.

    August 7, 2015

    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/VicenteOlm7

    'En avis' and 'avisen' means exactly the same?

    March 7, 2017

    https://www.duolingo.com/profile/mad1974

    No, "en avis" means "a newspaper". "Avisen" means "the newspaper". Avisen is definite.

    April 15, 2017
    Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.