1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Pigen er et barn."

"Pigen er et barn."

Translation:The girl is a child.

August 30, 2014

17 Comments


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/UNBALANC3D

I typed "chile" instead of "child" and it failed me. Darn these fat fingers of mine.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/malex0994

Do they just not pronounce "er"?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/degeberg

It is, but in a sentence it would usually only have an "a" (as in "apple") sound. If you listen very closely, you should be able to hear it in the audio :)


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/malex0994

You mean that in spoken danish, you just don't pronounce "er" in these sentences? Or is "er" really slightly pronounced?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/degeberg

It's slightly pronounced.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/BenCW123

It kept telling me i was typing in english because i was putting "pigerne er et barn" not "pigen er et barn"


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Zhale1369

When we use "et" and when "en"?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/Jan_D_13

et is for neuter nouns, en is for everything else ("common gender"). How to tell if a noun is neuter or "common"? There's no way, you just have to learn the gender of a word with every noun.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/crystalwil485650

25% of words in danish are with et and the other 75% are with en. You just have to learn them.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/CaptDingle

why cant it be "the girl has a child"


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/TildeNy

Because it sais "er" which means "is"/"are"/"am". Har means has/have


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DianeEsbec1

I typed in Danish again. However sometimes if there is a misspelling of a word and I do mean a word it will tell me I was typing in English. I do not understand that. I printed piger er et bornene. I printed it in that particular spelling for the girl because I was given to understand that that is multiple girls therefore I printed the version I believe is the multiple for children now I could be wrong a little bit but I was not printing Danish. This happened sometimes and I would like this corrected thank you


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DragonNights

Please use the report button to report issues with Duolingo, whether it is the sentences or the programming. Duo does not read these sentences.


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/SandraMoxo

why is this not 'et barn'?


https://www.duolingo.com/profile/DragonNights

It is "et barn."

Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.