Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

https://www.duolingo.com/luciennet

I wish there was more explanation in the "help" section

Hi,

I'm pretty new to duolingo, and just finding my way around. There's a few things I don't understand and haven't been able to see an explanation in the Help section or discussion etc.

1. How exactly does Immersion work? I can see that there are documents to be translated, but I don't know if they are being translated from German to English or from English to German. Do you have to translate a whole sentence at a time or can you translate the words you know and leave those you don't?

2. I don't really understand the points/reward system. Why would I care about a heart refill for example? What is the significance of losing hearts (doesn't that just mean I need to practice more? Which I am here for?)

3. Is there a way to sort discussions so I can just see those that relate to the language I am learning (German)?

4. Why is the American flag shown as a default for English, and can I change it to the actual English flag or my own nationality (Australian)?

5. When learning the language how much should I practise "strengthen skills" versus attempt new words/skills/levels for best language learning & retention? And how often should I use the flashcards?

6. Is there a way to download the words I've learned/am learning so I can use a flashcard program to create images to go with them for practice?

Many thanks in advance for any answers or tips you can offer.

Thanks, Luci

3 years ago

5 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/Honore
Honore

This is user-created (so unofficial) but likely will answer many of your questions about Duolingo: Duolingo Wiki

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/DeroGoi
DeroGoi
  1. You'll know when you click on an article what direction it needs to be translated in. For all of the "...for English speakers" courses, they're all in the target language (aka not English). You have to translate the entire sentence, you can't translate one word.

2. The heart refill is a little controversial. I find it best to just have one waiting, just in case. I rarely use it, and I never rely on it.

3. On the side of the discussion tab, click the German learning forum. That will only display German queries and topics.

4. American English is taught on Duolingo, as it is an American company. You can't change it.

5. It all depends on your learning style.

6. I have no idea, sorry. You can try searching on Memrise for Duolingo German courses.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/vanar702

1) If you are taking the German course, you will be translating from German into English. You can translate English into German if you take the 'English for German speakers' course. You need to translate a whole sentence at a time. Start with easy sections like tables which will often have only one or two word sentences.

2) Some people prefer to buy a heart refill because they get frustrated when they lose their last heart/life on the last question of a lesson. Hearts are just lives, so you can pass a lesson by getting 3 or less answers wrong (ie lose 3 or less hearts)

3) You can click on 'discussion' then look to the right hand side of the screen. This will show that you are currently following 'Duolingo in English' (an general discussion board in English), and 'German from English '. You can click on the edit button to delete the 'Duolingo in English' board.

4) The American flag is shown as this website teaches 'American English', and the company is based in the US. You can't change it.

5) It is up to you. I personally try to do 2 strengthen skill and 1 new skill a day, but some days I just do immersion, or just do whichever skill I fell like. Try a few different ways and see which suits you best :)

6) Click on the 'Words' tab at the top of your screen to see all the words you have learnt so far. You cannot down load them, but you could copy/paste or just type them out from there.

Good luck to you :)

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/scilling
scilling
  1. I don’t know — I haven’t tried it myself.

2. If you miss a question with no hearts left, you’ll need to redo the lesson. You have the option to purchase a heart refill rather than take your chances with answering questions with no hearts left, which might be preferable if you’re in the midst of a lesson with a couple of dozen questions.

3. There should be a separate “German from English” discussion area shown in “Your subscriptions”.

4. The English here is US English, hence the US flag, although non-US spellings such as “colour”, “metre”, etc. could be accepted by particular lessons, depending upon how they’ve been written.

5. Different people learn best in different ways — experiment to see which balance works best for you.

6. Not that I know of, but perhaps other people do know of a way.

3 years ago

https://www.duolingo.com/KrazyKaderKat

Hi Luci! welcome to Duolingo.

1. How Immersion works is when you click on a forum, it will be all in German. Your goal is to translate the sentences into English. you have to translate whole sentences at a time, sometimes it says you have to translate 5 sentences, other ones 2 sentences. You must translate all the words, but if you don't people will go and edit your translation and change it.

2. if you lose hearts, it means how well you know your language. here is the reward system, and how it works: Leveling up Earn 1 lingot (multiplied by level reached) Finishing a skill Earn 2 lingots for finishing a new skill Full hearts Earn 1 lingot for finishing a lesson with full hearts 10 day streaks Earn 1 lingot for every 10 days on a streak (1 for 10, 2 for 20, etc) Inviting friends Invite a friend to Duolingo and, if your friend accepts, you both will receive 1 lingot Uploading documents Upload a document to Immersion, and receive 1 lingot every time someone upvotes your document Note: Lingots are not awarded when you use a tree shortcut to level up or finish a skill.

3. you can sort discussions so you can only see German. How it works, you click on discussion, and on the right hand side there is your subscriptions, you click on edit and you can change which discussions you want to see.

4. that flag is for what language your learning, whether it be German or English. No you can not change the flag, sorry.

5. you should strengthen your lessons every day. ( if you can) you can learn new languages every day if you want too. the flashcards probably every week or so.

6. no you cannot download the words and ads pictures to them, no.

~Sktomasetti

3 years ago