1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Dutch
  4. >
  5. "De dwarsfluit"

"De dwarsfluit"

Translation:The flute

September 21, 2014



Why did you guys choose to teach dwarsfluit (which would translate to Querflöte in German or western concert flute in English), instead of just fluit?


Fluit is a very generic term, which can mean any kind of flute or whistle. Dwarsfluit is a specific type of flute. According to wikipedia it's called dwarsfluit (lit. cross flute) because the air flows over the embouchure hole at a 90 degree angle (you don't blow air in the instrument).


That's what I'm saying. Why aren't they just teaching us the generic term Fluit, or give us the more proper translation of Dwarsfluit, which would be "cross flute" or "western concert flute"? Translating Dwarsfluit simply as "Flute" in English doesn't make sense to me.


I think they are getting it right. An instrument such as Susande describes is the only one I would call a flute. One you blow into, not across, is a pipe or recorder.. Dwarsfluit = flute is an exact translation in each direction.


You're right. Just remember most Dutch (including me) don't know the exact meaning of "flute" and will translate it to "fluit" and think about a recorder


I think the concern should not be whether they have the exact literal meaning, but what people normally say to refer to that thing.


Ah, now I understand. I don't know why it was done this way. :)


The use of fluit and flute don't seem to line up across the two languages; a little research I have just done indicates that the translation is correct for how the word flute is generally used in English:

dwarsfluit flute
blokfluit recorder
panfluit panpipes
scheidsrechtersfluitje whistle

In all cases my reference has been from https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fluit where I have visited the individual pages, then clicked for an English language version. Essentially, some instruments counted under the broad term fluit are not in general use counted under the term flute.


It might have something to do with avoiding confusion with a whistle; which is also a fluit. I'm not entirely sure, but I think fluit in Dutch entails more subjects than the English flute. Honestly, I don't love this translation though. It's very confusing indeed, I would've said fluit too.


For me, a whistle is not a flute (USA English). It would be obscure/archaic for anyone I know to use "flute" to refer to anything other than a western concert flute, so I agree with the translation.


I've played flute for a long time. In US English, we typically just say flute when referring to this flute. But, there are many kinds so, i see why they make the distinction. There are pan flutes and even older styles of flutes. The term they're using refers to a particular style.

Learn Dutch in just 5 minutes a day. For free.