Duolingo is the most popular way to learn languages in the world. Best of all, it's 100% free!

Translating English to French question regarding the expression "by the 1930s" (for example)

[deactivated user]

I have just come across this English to French translation: "By the 1930s additional bus lines improved the transportation network throughout the region." The translation in French I found for the phrase "By the 1930s" is "Dans les années 1930..." To me, this does not mean the same thing. I thought, "By the 1930s" means that the improvements had been completed before the 1930s as opposed to being made during the 1930s. Can anyone explain this to me (perhaps a certain verb tense is used...) or tell me if there is a different way to translate this expression? Thank you. Terri

3 years ago

2 Comments

https://www.duolingo.com/SussexSoleil

What about using: "Dès les années 1930 ... "?

Or if you want to be that precise: "À la fin des années 1920 ..." although the English example doesn't make it clear whether the said improvements occurred by the start, the end or sometime during the 1930s.

3 years ago

[deactivated user]

Yes, I think your first suggestion is a better translation than the one I had found. Thank you.

EditDelete3 years ago