"My family lives in the south."
Translation:La mia famiglia vive nel sud.
I thought with family members you don't use the possessive construction 'la mia'? Maybe just with the family as a whole?
You omit the article only for single family members.
- "La mia famiglia è numerosa" (group)
- "Le mie sorelle sono intelligenti" (plural)
- "Mio zio vive in Svizzera" (singular)
And... we can say "La mia mamma" and "Il mio papà" but also "Mia mamma" and "Mio papà".
You MUST use the article:
- with diminutives and cute terms, like "la mia nonnina" "la mia cuginetta"
- "il mio patrigno" (my step-father) "la mia madrina" (my godmother)... they are close to relatives, and sound like diminutives, but they are not.
I wonder if something is missing. There are always some exceptions I forget. :D
They just used the phrase "a casa mia," but "la famiglia mia" is wrong. 'Sup with that?