1. Forum
  2. >
  3. Topic: Danish
  4. >
  5. "Hvem har gemt alle bordskåne…

"Hvem har gemt alle bordskånerne?"

Translation:Who has hidden all the trivets?

November 1, 2014



It's something you put under a hot pot/pan to absorb heat and prevent the surface underneath from being scorched or scratched. They're usually metal or ceramic.

  • 126

The Danish word means something like "table protector"


Smart! I usually end up frantically trying to clear a spot on a stone or tile surface while holding on to a hot pot. I cook about as well as I speak Danish, but I'm improving at least one of those things.


In my vocabulary, these are hot mats or table mats. A trivet is usually metal with small feet for the same purpose. A bordskåner can be made like a basket, or cork or wood or heavy cloth, like a place mat.


I had not encountered this word before either. And, as it turns out, we even have some trivets. Thanks duolingo for expanding my English vocabulary while learning Danish!


Had this with trivets, badger, hob,... This is why I often fail to test out of lessons :P


Where I'm from, in the Midwestern US, people tend to call them "coasters". Maybe you're more familiar with that word.

  • 126

To me a "coaster" is something you put under a drink to protect a table. Coasters are smaller than trivets and not necessarily heat-resistant.


In the Adirondacks, they are known as "trivets" and are usually made of metal (some raised up with metal legs), are of various shapes (some quite decorative and intricate) and are for hot dishes such as casseroles or for putting a cast iron skillet straight on the table. Some trivets even have candle holders in them for small candles to keep the food warm. I have noticed that these candle trivets are quite common in Poland and the Baltics. In the Adirondacks, "coasters" are usually made from wood, glass, cardboard, or cork, and are small squares or circles used only for drinks for cups and glasses, so as to not leave a ring on wooden furniture.


Indeed. In the northwest, I think we'd also call them coasters, but amidst thinking there's probably a "real" word for them. Amazing that I'd learn English on Duolingo! :)


We have trivets in Washington! Although in our house we usually just use an extra hot pad instead of a dedicated trivet.


According to Wiktionary, this type of trivet may also be a called a 'hot trivet', to distinguish it from the ones you punt under drinks. As a non-native English speaker, I learnt two new words here, trivet and bordskåner...


Who has hidden all the trivets? Apparently the English language, as I've never heard that word before :)


Looks like a french word


I am so glad I am not the only one who hadn't heard the word "trivet".


Well, now I know what a trivet is! In my part of the UK we'd call them either pot stands or pads.


I had the double whammy of having the mouseover not work properly because the Danish was on a second line, and having never heard this word in English. Never mind Danish, there are times on this course when I think I need to learn American first.


My dictionary says that "bordskåner" translates into "dish mat".


My Danish-Eng dictionary also translates it as 'dish mat'. Here in New Zealand as far as I know 'trivet' is only used for a tripod or bracket placed over an open fire for a cooking pot or kettle to stand on - and most people here under the age of 60 would never have heard the term. These regional differences are interesting!


So is it like "placemats?"


Placemats (for individual place settings) are dækkeservietter. Bordskåner ('table protectors') are for cooking pots and serving dishes that are hot (or maybe 'sweating', i.e. cold and damp) to protect the table.


Not that Google is necessarily an authority on languages or English, but Google Translate brings up "Coasters" for "Bordskånere" ;-)


Danish kitchens seem full of trivets and potholders and very little else. They come up in every sentence here, whereas less useful words like "fridge" and "cooker" hardly appear.


køleskab, komfur, kogeplade, ovnen, fryser, køkkenbord, køkkenvasken, køkkenpapir (paper towels), viskestykke (dish towel), grydeske, paletkniv (spatula in the US), stegepande, kageform, kagerulle ... anything else?


Trivet is not a word in uk english. It is my big complaint with duolingo that you do not recognise non US


I'm from SW England and it's the word I use for the (usually metal) little stands to protect tables/kitchen surfaces etc so they don't get burnt by hot saucepans and so on, (regardless of whether they've got 3 feet or 4.) http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/trivet Duolingo uses American English because it's the variant spoken by most people, I suppose. It doesn't bother me, as they have to choose one otherwise it'd get very complicated, with loads of different potential versions of everything. I find they're more than happy to add other variants from the UK, Australia, NZ, Canada etc. In fact, it's fascinating to learn about all the different words used elsewhere!


I’m from Yorkshire and I have always called them a trivet.


It’s not a word in my American English either.


Coasters should be acceptable for trivets


Lol, I just call them coasters.


Treefjes in Dutch. I had always wondered what the English word was :)


Well here's a word I didn't even know in English :D


Thanks for teaching me some English in addition to Danish, Duolingo. My family has always used what we call, "hot pads," which are basically thick cloth trivets.

Learn Danish in just 5 minutes a day. For free.